Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Balboa/Newport Piers?

Default Balboa/Newport Piers?

Hi all,

Haven't fished in a loooong time so I need to get out there and wet a line. I was wondering if anything was going on at the O.C piers ( Balboa and N.P ) as of late. Used to fish there during the summer couple of years ago and it was wide open on macks and bones. I know, they're not your glamor fish but they pull back and are actually kinda fun on krocks and lite spinning tackle. So can you experts out there help a brotha out and give me the latest scoop on what's going on down there? Thanks in advance......

Scott

jsl,

Welcome back! Long time member I see!

I like you spent a long time away until my son reeled me in and got started back on the big "O" through pier fishing!

This will get moved to the General Discussion Page just so you know!

Steve .

I usually try hitting the pier during the evening, so i can jig up some nice fresh sardines.

I like cutting the head and tail off of a fat sardine, and pin the remaining part through the center with the hook..

PM the next time you go, might see you there.

C&R ed about 20 Big Macs yesterday at KH, JCS. They were good fighters on the little spinner.
    I went with 15 lb braid (1st time on a spinner for me) and like it. 3' flouro leader.
    Alex at the Rusty Hook in San Pedro set me up
    Really like the way it casts and no more line twist. Thanks Robert for helping me decide. After losing 4 LC's this year tossing 8 lb I had to step my game up.
    Braid is not just a good kelp cutter rig line anymore.

Spiderwire on a spinning reel is
    then a 3' flourocarbon leader with a back to back Uni knot is da chit.

15 lb braid is the same size as 4 lb mono.
    Any other guys useing braid on a spinner ?
    DR

This year I switched my small spinning reels to 20# Cortland braid ... and tie a few different weights of flouro leader for both fresh and surf fishing. The difference is amazing, and fewer LC's lost to boot. Way fewer lost fish, and even tying 2# flouro for trout works. The Cortland braid is a little lighter in color, almost a sand color, so for surf fishing it's the bomb for sure.