Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curado 300 EJ Vs Abu Revo Toro

Default Curado 300 EJ Vs Abu Revo Toro

Which one do you guys like better? I just purchased a 300 EJ and was wondering if the Toro is better what is your input on the reels guys?

This should be in Tackle forum. But both reels are good. Shimano has a good product with tight tollerances and quality matrerials... The new Abu Revo & Toro series are top notch also..
    THe Revo series has a Kick lever issue (all models, hope its fixed now?) Needs to be changed out or it will not go back into gear after some use...
    Only way to tell is to open and look as far as I know?? They sent me a replacement for the defective one and it had same defective lever in it... WTF There is a redesigned updated one and they still deny its defective??
    Other wise its on par or better in some ways (more drag) Toro even has live bait clicker...

Even so I have 3 New Abu's 2 inshores and a Toro 60....... I like em......

I am very satisfied with my 300DSV. The EJ is the same except with an extra bearing, sexy paintjob, and a powerhandle. Have caught everything up to smaller YFT and the reel is still going. I would recommend a carbontex upgrade, but I'd recommend that for all reels that don't already come with.

The Toro is a beast in itself. The Toro has a bit more power, but doesn't cast as well and the retrieve is not as smooth. However, if the EJ leaves you wanting more, maybe you should try the Toro. Both have excellent resale values.

Default One important difference

The Toro has a Non-disengaging leverwind. To me, that is the selling point. It means that the line angle against the leverwind will be zero degree ( pretty much ), so the drag will be veryyy consistent.

People has questioned about the line angle ( against the leverwind when drag is being pulled ) on the Curado 300 but it 's not a big problem since you are probadly using atleast 15 lb line. Just try it, when the angle is small the line will pull out smooth, but when the angle becomes stepper then it gets harder. Not a big problem since we are using drag at 1/3 of the line rating.

I 've been looking for a used Toro 50 or 51 but they are snatched up quick.

When I initially went into the tackle store I had my mind set on another Abu then the worker told me are you fishing salt with it I said yes. He then told me If I were to fish salt go with the new Curado EJ the reason being was Shimanos Excellent warrenty. If the reel ever ends up crapping out send it back. Which happen to my 300DSV twice. I sent it in they pretty much replaced everything in the inside. I do have a toro 50 but have not put it to the test yet in salt that is. It does feel like a more durable better built reel and that leverwind thing is pretty sick.

When I brought the EJ home I noticed you are correct Calico Killer Kevin the stats size and eveything else was pretty much the same as the 300DSV other than a little higher gear ration, 1 extra bearing, power handle, and a bling bling paintjob.

Another thing the Curado is made in japan my abu is make in Korea I thought it was made in Switzerland but I looked on the back Korea.

I neglected to mention that I love my Curado 301E. I just want to have a Toro 51 also. I even use my Curado 301 to throw plastics with 15 lbs line. The picture below is of me catching a 2lb bass on my Curado 301 with a Senko last night.
    Last edited by Vman; 04-23-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    I neglected to mention that I love my Curado 301E. I just want to have a Toro 51 also. I even use my Curado 301 to throw plastics with 15 lbs line. The picture below is of me catching a 2lb bass on my Curado 301 with a Senko last night.
    Have you tried fishing the Senko on a regular sized low-pro like an E7? The 300 seems like way overkill for average plastic duty.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Have you tried fishing the Senko on a regular sized low-pro like an E7? The 300 seems like way overkill for average plastic duty.
    I have used all sort of low-pro reels and all different sizes. Curado200E, Chronarch D, Curado 51E, Daiwa Zillions, Revos, and various Quantums. Just recently I started using the 300 size reel just to winch the fish out of the weed plus I am just weird like that ( what I really want to do is to catch a yellowtail with this rig ).

Ahh, I see. I feel that with the HEG, even my 7:1 low-pro Shimanos have not problems winching. My choice is the D7 for Senkos.

I have caught plenty of patty 'tails up to 20lbs on my 300DSV without a sweat, and even YFT up to 30lbs. Matched with a custom Rainshadow ISWB845 and 50lb braid and a short 15 or 20lb fluoro leader, it's a blast. Wished I had a power handle at one point or another, but not a necessity. I wouldn't even think to take it on an overnight without Carbontex though. Try it without, and check your internals the next day. Chances are the dartanium drag fibers will be in every nook and cranny or your reel.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    I feel that with the HEG, even my 7:1 low-pro Shimanos have not problems winching. My choice is the D7 for Senkos. I wouldn't even think to take it on an overnight without Carbontex though.
    I thrown Senkos and most plastics with the 200D7 also. I posted : " I EVEN thrown senkos with the curado 301", meaning it 's an exception not the norm. The 301E is for the most part used to throw smaller swimbaits. The winching part ? with the 301E 's bigger and meatier handle, it just feels better.

When I was still fishing in the ocean for yellowtails and tunas, they did not have the 300 sized curados, so I used the Trini 12 and Newell 220 with 15lbs line for fun on light line. Haven't been to the salt for 6 or 7 years.

It 's a shame that Shimano drag doesn't hold up ( I'll take your words for it ) in this reel for the intended purpose. They hyped the reel as worthy of Golden Dorados, a fish that will get up to 50lbs and just plain awesome. But not a big deal since the replacement disc is relatively inexpensive. But still....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast