Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Boat ?

Well hell Z, I've got an old 350 V8 we could strap on to that bad boy if you want to haul the mail bud. Seriously it's not just the weight of the motor ( thats not to much more probably ) but the extra battery power and associated battery weight I would be concerned about. Besides, I don't want to have to repower my boat to keep up lol. Peace Ron

Default MORE POWER

LMFAO Ron, i think you can still keep up, i have quite a few extra lbs. I'll be pushing around and its not a battery .

Z

FISH ON !

Default toon

Hey Now Ron, i ordered the seat riser and swivel they didn't have the BEER holder in stock, WTF ? anyway i forgot all about an anchor, my order shipped today, any suggestions? i also ordered the Minn, PFD & air horn and i started filling out the reg. form DMV. oh yeah pepboys has deep cycle marine energizer batt. on special, so hopefully by the end of next week or the beginning of the following, I'LL BE READY ?

Z

FISH ON !

Outstanding Z, don't worry about the anchor. I got mine at Wally World for a good price, less than 20 bucks if I remember. I use one of those plastic coated mushroom anchors and it works well. I don't know how your going to get around the BEER holder man, that's a problem. I think I saw one on the Cabellas site, I'll check. I can't wait to fish with you Z. Your gonna be stoked with the boat I'm sure. Peace Ron

Default toon

OK Ron, hooking up to fish sounds great to me, i think my maiden voyage will be castaic goon, its only 34 miles from my house and its pretty laid back, i want to take my time setting up and figuring out WTF? , i got myself into.. LOL

I'll post the day i head out their and maybe some other FNF members will be out there for some support? ie: (making fun of the new guy trying to launch his toon for the 1st time) LMFAO

Oh yeah, how many lbs. mushroom anchor and how many feet of rope ?

i'll have to hit the WM out in SCV on my way to castaic, none by my house.

Z

FISH ON !

I want to say 12 lbs Z, but I can't recall exactly. It measures 7 1/4 inches high and 6 1/2 inches wide. It will seem small to you but believe me it is plenty. As far as line goes I have 50 ft. for my boat but I don't really fish in really deep water. I plan on getting a new line about 75 ft. for fishing for striper up at Silverwood. Also don't think your line needs be a large diameter. It doesn't take that much load and a smaller diameter line is easier to work with through the cam lock system on your anchor lock. I'm gonna take a couple of pics of it and post them and you can see what I'm talking about. Peace Ron

Default toon

Great Thanks Ron, the more info the better, this is all new to me so I'll take your word from all your experience. still working on the fish finder, I'm looking at the Humminbird Piranhamax 240, it has a reasonable price and has a wide coverage Tri-Beam with two 35° and 20° beams - 90° total and the transducer can be mounted to the trolling motor, I've read some reviews and there all good for this FF in its price range.(under $150.00)

Anyone out there has any good info on FF, I'll be more then happy to read your input.

Z

FISH ON !

Ron, is this what your toon looks like from a over head view, your toon pic's look a little different or do you have the standing platform installed, this pic is the 2007 model?

I'm looking to put a fishfinder on my tube as well. I've been researching this before I even made the decision to buy a tube. So far I've read some great reviews about the Eagle Cuda 168. But when it came the time to pull the trigger, I went to BPS and found that they were sold out. This unit goes for $80 and I think it might make a good entry level sonar. Another FF I was thinking of going with is the Lowrance X67C. It is a bit pricey but after seeing it on another fellow tuber's tube yesterday, I think it is worth every penny. Both of the finders I've mentioned so far have 800 watts peak to peak power, which should be good for identifying fish and structure. Plus with only 800W it shouldn't drain a 7Ah SLA battery much.

On the other hand, I'll eventually buy a toon or boat one of these days. So I'm not ruling out fishfinders with 1500-1600W peak to peak power just yet. With fall and winter coming just around the corner, these units will be an invaluable tool for vertical jigging. The one's I'm keeping in mind are: the Lowrance X96, Humminbird 525, and Eagle Fishmark 320.

Hey Z, that is exactly what my boat looks like. The difference is the standing platform as you mentioned, also I move my saddlebagsforward to the first bar on the frame. This helps put more wieght forward and offsets the weight of the battery and motor somewhat. I also move my frame as far forward as the valve protective covers allow for the same reason. You will find that your boat will track much better if your pontoons are fairly level. If you boat tends to ride a little to nose high it loses some of it's directional stability under power and will not travel in a straight line quite as well. Also don't forget to raise your trolling motor before droping the anchor or it will bang on your motor on the way down. Peace Ron

Default toon

ok Ron, i'll be fu~king with it soon and hopefully get the bugs out fast, thanks to all your info.

Z

FISH ON !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast