Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Boat ?

Default Pontoon Boat ?

Hey Now, I'm thinking about getting a toon for fishing socal lake's, any suggestions / pro's / con's , I'm 6'5" and about 300lbs. a friend told me to get a kayak, but sitting in one for hours and not being able to move my legs much, dose not seem a good idea for me.

Thanks,
    Z

FISH ON !

Hey Z, I've got a toon and would recomend one to someone else for sure. Seeing how your a big guy you might look into one of the bigger models so the boat stays light on the water without a lot of drag. My boat is rated for 400 lbs so even if I haul a lot of gear the boat stays nimble and easy to move around. Ck out some of the threads for kickboat or pontoons and you can see a couple of good ones. Santa Fe Eric has a nice toon as does LightTheSky. If your serious about a pontoon boat you can ck mine out at Perris on Aug 18. I'll be there from 6:00 am till whenever. You can take a little ride and see if it's for you. Peace Ron

Default toon

Hey Now Ron, I'm looking at the FISH CAT 9 or 10 , rated to 400-450lbs., I have an old van to haul it and i want to make sure it will fit inside. I've read a few reviews on FISH CAT toons and they were all good. I'm looking around for deal right now, eBay has a few new ones for sale, i bid on a used one and lost with 2 sec. left, guy must have had bid-snipe. Thanks for the invite and info, never been to Perris, maybe take you up on test ride. I'm from S. Florida and grew up fishing my grandpa's 11ft. Sears jon-boat, that was 20 years ago, hopefully its like riding a bike? I fish castaic, pyramid & piru , I'll keep looking and reading before i buy.

Ron you ever saltwater fish with your toon, bay, harbor or kelp, i defiantly want to try and what's the deal with toons, do you have to wear a CGA personal flotation vest ?

Z

FISH ON !

Hey Z, I haul my boat on the bed of my truck and it works good. You could throw one on top of a van for sure. I have an ODC 1018 from Creek Co. I really like the boat and would recomend looking at them before you buy. The saddle bags and pump come with the boat and the customer support is outstanding. I've not fished the salt with it yet but i'm going to when I can buy a saltwater trolling motor. I was a bonehead when I bought my minn-kota. It works great but it's not saltwater rated and I hear that's not to good for it. As far as a CGA PFD I don't think you have to wear it but you have to have one on your boat. Don't quote me on that, not really sure on the letter of the law on that one. I wear mine if conditions warrant, rest of the time it rides on the back of my seat. How far south in florida were you? I lived on the southeast side of Tampa Bay for about a year and really liked Florida. Anyway good luck with the boat and hope to wet a line with you sometime. Peace Ron

Default toons

Hey Now Ron, Tampa nice, I've only visited, I grew up east coast, Hollywood FL, my grampus house was on a canal so fishing/scuba diving was easy, not to mention with in 2-3 blocks of the house were 3 lake's, 4 blokes to the inter-coastal waterway and 5 to the ocean. Oh yeah and about 5 golf courses with ponds full of fish.

I'll have a look at Creek Co. toons and I'll be looking for a saltwater trolling motor.

Thanks,
    Z

FISH ON !

Default Minn Kota Riptide 40 S

Hey Now Ron, check out Minn Kota Riptide 40 S at WM, best price i've found.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5297232

Z

FISH ON !

Damn Z, You got to show me this right after I committed to doing 2 days at California Speedway with the family. Shoot I should of never done that, I'd rather have that motor. Oh well, at least I know I can get it at Wall Mart. That rocks. Did you order your boat yet? Later Ron

Default toon

Hey Now Ron, no still shopping, looking at fish finder's and deep cycle marine battery's also, i guess i have the trolling motor figured out .

Z

FISH ON !

Hey Z, I definitly think that's the motor, let me know what you dig up on the battery. I like the one I've got but would like to try finding a more power less weight one if it's available. I'm going to start looking in that direction as soon as I can buy that nice motor. Later Ron, Hey before I forget, look at other options than the Bottom Line fishing buddy finders. I've got one and wish I'd gone with something else.

Default fish finder

Ron, yeah I've read some reviews on the fishing buddy finder and they were not that good, i think I'm going with a trolling motor transducer mount FF, from what I've read that's the ticket and I'm looking for a lite weight battery with lots CCA.

I'll keep you posted.

Z

FISH ON !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast