Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDENTIFY this mutated fish!! I think its a mutant!!

Default IDENTIFY this mutated fish!! I think its a mutant!!

Ok guys this thing is WEIRD!! Ive asked tons of people and NOONE has a clue. It was caught in silverwood but Ive never seen anything like it. It has the body structure of a largemouth bass, the head of a catfish, mouth of a carp, gill structure of a LMB and the color is a mix between bass and catfish.....WEIRD!!

I also caught this guy funny too, I was using a deep crank and felt a thud so I tried to set the hook and it went slack so I let it sit for a minute to give it another shot at it and a second later another bump, I reeled in the slack and set the hook really hard this time. FISH ON! And BOY did this thing put up a good fight! He was pulling line off my basspro nitro reel and if you dont know, those reels are capable of 17lbs of drag I was thinking it may be a DD bass. Well I finally got him in and realized I had hooked him through the tail.

Heres some pics, I wish I would have shot a video of him.

WHAT THE HECK IS IT???

Default Fish!!!!

it looks like a Carp!

Quote Originally Posted by Vies View Post
    it looks like a Carp!
    Not any carp Ive ever seen in this lake! The carp in silverwood have the regular golden large scales...

It is a squaw fish.

Id have to agree.... they would normally be colored different but it looks like this fish has been in the lake for a long while... im surprised it doesnt have wiskers... and the funny thing is.... the color mimics the Bass! lol.... what a copy cat! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost2uu View Post
    It is a squaw fish.
    Dont squawfish have a long slender body though? Also they dont have carp mouths either, lol.

It almost looks like a silver carp.

I've also caught a few of those up in Clifton Court Forebay (near TRACY, CA)...this species of fish is more of like a asian carp family....if you didnt know CCF is also a part of the Aquaducts...Clifton Court forebay,O'Neil forebay,Lake Pyramid,Castaic,Silverwood,DVL are all connected through the Aquaduct....

Quote Originally Posted by VangFisherman View Post
    I've also caught a few of those up in Clifton Court Forebay (near TRACY, CA)...this species of fish is more of like a asian carp family....if you didnt know CCF is also a part of the Aquaducts...Clifton Court forebay,O'Neil forebay,Lake Pyramid,Castaic,Silverwood,DVL are all connected through the Aquaduct....
    Nice to know someone else has caught one, that makes me feel better lol.

hey since VangFisherman mentions its all part of the aquaducts, you guys must have caught the same one......honestly, id put it in my koi pond and see what happens. hahaha.....now i want to catch one!

Thanks for the great post with pics by the way!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast