Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SARL 3-28-11...10th skunk in a row...Must read for SMOKERS!

haha maybe he isnt. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    I disagree with you all. How do you guys "know the smoking thing is true." What's your proof? Trout primarily hunt via sight, not smell. Unless you guys are doing experiments at home to "prove" this, we will never know. Sounds like superstition to me.

sight?? then whats with all the "scents" that get bit better than not using any scent??

GD

Try using 4 pound test with a 2 pound leader and the smallest hooks you can buy with nightcrawler or powerbait, then proceed to blast trout. I smoke constantly when fishing and wrangle all species non the less.

Default Scent for Trout..........

I remember once when I was a kid, my dad and I were fishing up at Lake Piru (when there was actually trout there) and I couldn't figure out why my dad was catching fish and I wasn't. We were using the same set up, same bait, same everything. So after watching him catch a few (limit was 10 each) I asked him what he was doing differently.

You'll never guess what he said...............Pee on your hands!
    The fish seem to be attrached to the smell of urine.

Tight Lines.

KH

im kidding buddy, i didnt mean to upset you, but keep on trying you will catch one sooner or later

As a smoker I have realized it does make a difference, maybe not as big as you may think Andy but it does none the less. When I used to bait and wait I would wash my hands with scent remover soap (avail. at BPS) before baiting up. I believe it did help. Now I fish mainly with plastics dipped in bite on garlic so I dont have to worry about it so much anymore. One other thing to realize is at sarl 80% of the fish are in only a couple areas. so you gotta get the right spot. I think the best thing for all of us smokers to do is quit this stupid habit so we can fish until we are old and cranky, aahhhh someday. Peace to all.

Try this on your next outing at SARL.

4lb line max, use a mosquito hook (size depends on your bait), 1/8 slider weight or a medium split shot, bait I recommend is the mouse combo, been limiting out using that combo (my bro smokes, and he limits out as well) try using chart. PB with orange trout worm, or vice versa, garlic mix with chart PB and trout worm, rainbow with trout worm, I personally dip all my bait in Bite-on-garlic scent. Cast about 10-15ft out and wait. If I don't get bit in 10 minutes, reel in, re-dip and re-cast. Try fishing around bubble hole, levitz corner, la palma corner, or the dock area, from my past experience trout will swim one direction then they will turn around and swim back and so on. Usually if the person next to you gets bit and your rod is out, there's a good chance you will get bit too.

One more thing, don't use an overkill rod. I use a $20 UL rapala rod and caught 15lb fish on that rod.

Hope that helps, good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    sight?? then whats with all the "scents" that get bit better than not using any scent??

GD
    Do some research bro

I tend to believe the smoking theory as I've experienced it myself. A few weeks ago I casted out my line prior to lighting one up then strike within 5-10 mins. Of course after the catch I decided to light up a cig and never caught another fish for the rest of the day. Obviously the fish are sensitive to scent so you if you're a smoker it's probably best juice up your baits/rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout 1 View Post
    Im not to sure about this "smoking" theory. I dont smoke myself BUT two of my buddies i fish with all the time smoke. And i mean they will catch a few fish light one and catch another fish right after they are done. I do know people that put scent one there hands...thats kind of far out IMO. It also might be diffrent when it comes to bait fishing, the 2 guys i know are Jig fisherman, there is more hand contact with the bait i guess. Idk though you could be right...it would be cool if there was some way we could test this huh? lol

Drew
    well, i tried fishing with lures too no luck lol....i will be testing this the next time i go...if it works than the smoking theory is true...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast