Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Swimbait Rod Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Swimbait Rod Question

I have a new lot of swimbaits, all pretty heavy and about 6". What am I looking for in a rod for these? Does it have to be specifically a "swimbait" rod? What action? Med/hvy or heavy?

Thanks

A 6" swimbait is about an ounce in a half.

Look for a rod rated for about that weight, which should end up being a "Heavy" rod.

I'd be looking at a rod that's a tad parabolic for swimbaits.

Check out the G-Loomis 955 & 956. Both are 7'11" which give you the length to make those long casts and the 955 is a bit more parabolic then the 956. I personally like the 955 over the 956 for huddlestons and triple trouts but my buddy who is much more the bass guy ten me prefers the 956 - to each his own.

Thanks guys. Good advice. What does parabolic mean?

It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.
    That makes sense. My next question would be what's the advantage of this?

Default Rod Actions and Tapers

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Thanks guys. Good advice. What does parabolic mean?
    Slow, Medium and Fast Actions

A slow rod is one that will flex down its full length.

A medium rod has most of its flex in the top half of the rod leaving the bottom half stiffer.

A fast action rod has most of its flex in the top quarter of the rod and will be stiffer in the middle and butt section.
    Progressive Taper

A progressive taper is a rod which has a smooth, even increase in thickness all the way to the handle.

A rod built to this form will get increasingly stiffer towards the handle, therefore the more load that is applied the deeper the rod will flex.

This type of design is good for casting at short, medium and long distances.
    Compound Taper

This is basically a progressive taper, but the increase in diameter is varied along the length of the rod. Most of the old classic tapers were made to a compound taper.
    Parabolic

This type of rod will flex more in the butt section when a heavy load is applied.

They have a stiff middle section and a flexible butt section.

Rods with parabolic tapers are slow and powerful and make fantastic roll casting rods. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	action-1-.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	29329

I think I decided on Okuma Guide Series swimbait rod for $100 and Cardiff 300 for $90. What do you guys think?

Question first: I can get telescopic and non-telescopic rod. What's the difference? Which one would you go with?
    Last edited by Surfnsnowboard3; 03-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.