Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: micro guides and braid

Default micro guides and braid

Is it safe to be using braid with micro guides?
    I just bought a carrot stix heavy fast wild yesterday for beefy stuff and wasn't sure if I should be using braid on this rod or not. If not, I already did.. and well... doh!

Haven't heard anything regarding micro guides and braid, BUT, I think that's just because the micro guides are slowly making an appearance on rods.

I still remember the braid/REcoil guides issue where people were posting pictures of the braid eating away at the REcoils, leaving microscopic "V" shaped notches in the metal.

I'm still wary about braid, for that reason. If it can chew up the metal REcoils, don't know what else it could chew away with if given enough time.

Not familiar with that particular rod, but what are the inserts on your micro guides? most inserts (alconite, sic) will hold fine against braid. what you really should be concerned is you tie on a leader, the knot may sometimes catch on the guides..

Yeah not sure what they're mad of.
    "pac bay semi micro guides with zerconium insert for the top"
    Whatever that means.
    Awww I guess I gotta take my Daiwa Samurai off then. Just in case.
    Damn I knew I probably shouldn't have done that.
    I'll get out the magnifying glass and see if I cut anything up..

I had V notches on an old ultralight once just from fluorocarbon!

Let you guys know if I find anything. Hope not!

edit:
    as for the knot to the leader I only ran a foot long leader to prevent the knot having to go through the guides.

hmmph. I'm never gonna perfect this particular technique with all these variables..
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-08-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Braid + RECoil guides.

Now, this is one person's experience and I know a lot of people who use REcoils and braid without any problems (aside from the god awful noise).

Have some Daiwa samurai for sale. lol j/k. I'll keep it for the walmart frog rod.

Yeah man can't tell with the naked eye but there just might be a knick there.
    I'll have to wait for my digital camera to do macro inspection on these tiny things.
    No more braid.

I'll email e21 and see what they say too.

quick update.
    found my magnifying glass and didn't really see anything.
    maybe just the very teeny tiniest micro fine divot but there's no way to tell for sure.
    I don't think I did any harm that will do any harm later if I continue to use this rod.
    Although glad I stopped now and probably should have thought about it before hand.

On a side note, you try to hit the email E21 button and it brings up 404. lol
    I'll have to cave in and call the number provided one day.

I fished some 15lb mono on the rod with a shellcracker mini and no problems yet.

Hey Casey, long time no see.

Actually, I'm fishing 20lb Daiwa Samurai on my Phenix 700M Dropshot rod with guides as small as 3.5. I've had no issues, and I usually fish a 6' topshot of fluoro. Just enough to keep them immediately out of the guides. There should be no issue, so long as E21 replaced their crappy guides for the Zirconium inserts. I prefer ceramic inserts, but Zirconium isn't too shabby. Anyways, no issues whatsoever.

Very few modern guides have "v'ing" issues. The only rods I know that have that problem are the Carrots by E21 and the HMX by Fenwick.

There are two ways to V your guides: mono heating up from prolonged runs, or braid picking up grit.

I custom wrapped ALL my Fly Rods with ReCoil and ReCoil HD guides and I use 65-80# Power Pro for backing on my 6wt. through 12wt.Tarpon reels and haven't had any issues yet. Been into my backing many times w/no issues. Could be the type of braid also, Power Pro is smooth some others that I won't mention are rough woven.
    TJ a quick tip to check the condition of any questionable guides, find a pair of old pantyhose/nylons and run them through the guides...if it snags at any time check it (something I learned 20-30 years ago from another rod builder).
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Braid + RECoil guides.

Now, this is one person's experience and I know a lot of people who use REcoils and braid without any problems (aside from the god awful noise).

Thanks for the tips guys.
    Buncha bass today on the rod and no probs w/ mono and thick sticks cover yanking fish out.
    I solved my old issue of line stretch by using thicker mono instead of braid. Solved the slack problem with a high speed reel. solved the hookset problem with a heavy rod. Working great today on the water.
    Will try the pantyhose trick. Thanks!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast