Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimbait Rod Question

Default Swimbait Rod Question

I have a new lot of swimbaits, all pretty heavy and about 6". What am I looking for in a rod for these? Does it have to be specifically a "swimbait" rod? What action? Med/hvy or heavy?

Thanks

A 6" swimbait is about an ounce in a half.

Look for a rod rated for about that weight, which should end up being a "Heavy" rod.

I'd be looking at a rod that's a tad parabolic for swimbaits.

Check out the G-Loomis 955 & 956. Both are 7'11" which give you the length to make those long casts and the 955 is a bit more parabolic then the 956. I personally like the 955 over the 956 for huddlestons and triple trouts but my buddy who is much more the bass guy ten me prefers the 956 - to each his own.

Thanks guys. Good advice. What does parabolic mean?

It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.
    That makes sense. My next question would be what's the advantage of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    That makes sense. My next question would be what's the advantage of this?
    The advantage is you are able to put more consistent pressure on the fish because the rod will hold a bend easier. Example would be Wahoo. Guys throwing bombs for Wahoo sometimes will tend to like a more parabolic rod (Calstar 6480 vs 800H) because it keeps a bend in it keeping pressure/that bomb stuck in the fishes mouth whereas with the faster rod it is harder on the fisherman to keep the pressure on the fish because he has to exert more force to keep a bend in the rod so as soon as you relax and that rod loses the bend the Wahoo drops the bomb and you lost the fish. Same thing with bass, it is very important that you keep the pressure on them especially with the bigger ones because they tend to come to the surface and give you those great big head shakes trying to spit that hook. This is all preferential though to be honest and what works for one fisherman another won't like at all.

G loomis 955 is a bit out of my budget. 265 at Cabelas. Any recommendations for a good swimbait rod in 100-150 range?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    G loomis 955 is a bit out of my budget. 265 at Cabelas. Any recommendations for a good swimbait rod in 100-150 range?
    I think the only rod that would fit in that budget that I would recommend is the Okuma Guide Series.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think the only rod that would fit in that budget that I would recommend is the Okuma Guide Series.
    Know any lOcal stores that sell that? Looked online and couldn't find it.

Any other rod ideas from others?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast