Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd trip at the Vine=tragedy 3-20-11

Default 2nd trip at the Vine=tragedy 3-20-11

Well, I decided to hit the lake for my 2nd trip, and fish it until the weather got too bad. Short line at 5:30, got right in and launched in the dark. Had a nice 1.3lb crappie on the troll by 6:45, and things were looking up. The trout were not hitting the surface lures, so I went leadcore and nailed a nice 2.5lb bow on a dodger/pinched crawler while I was still letting out line. Sweet! Then, it started getting windy. Got another nice big crappie about 10:00 on the way towards trout island, then made another drift/troll towards the dam for nothing. On my way back up towards the docks is when the bad things happened real fast. First, by 3.5hp motor ran out of gas, (only the 2nd time I've used it, wasn't used to the fuel consumption rate) had to switch to the trolling motor. At full speed, I was getting blown backwards by the wind, losing ground towards the dam by catfish cove, out in mid lake. Got spun around, tried to correct the bow by throwing the motor the opposite way only to have it come off the transom and flail about wildly, having to turn it off and re-attach it. During this 30 seconds or so, I was blown parallel to the waves, which were getting very big from the gusts of wind. Within 10 seconds, I was hit by 3 good waves which flooded the boat, and it sank like a rock. I was in total shock--I went from good fishing day to complete disaster in seconds. Luckily my life vest floated up to me, and I had no choice but to try and swim to the west shore, but was mainly just hanging on and letting the wind push me, just trying to keep my head above water. I was wearing 2 heavy jackets, and it was pulling me down. I watched as my 12' tin can boat, gas motor, trolling motor, 3 commercial batteries, net, all my tackle boxes, 4 rods/reels, anchor, $100 worth of X Rap lures, new $250 fish finder, stringer of my catches and everything else all sink to the bottom in a flash.
    The swim to shore took probably 20-30 minutes. I pulled myself out of the water and gasped for air. I took off my jackets, which felt as if they weighed 50 lbs each. I pulled my phone out, and miraculously it WORKED! I called my wife, the speaker barely working, and got her to look up the lake on the internet, call them, and got the lake patrol out to me in about 10 minutes. When they picked me up, I was about 3/4 of the way to the dam from the docks, freezing cold. To my surprise, they had found 3 of my 6 tackle box trays and my cooler, from my "debris trail". Major props to the lake manager and staff, I don't know how I would have made it back if they hadn't come to get me. They said they'd look out for my boat to see if it'd pop up, but I highly doubt that, friggin thing was weighed down big time.
    I'll be back. I'll get another boat and I'll be back for sure.
    Thanks for reading.

DUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEE

good thing ur alive bro!!! count the blessings!

danggg

but thats some resilience! yea bro! get a new boat and show that lake whos boss!

wow at least you are ok all I dont know how much boating experencie you have .But to all novice boaters keep your bow into the swell

Someone needs to put together a fund raiser for you... i feel bad for u bro.. that's some shity *** **** and u lost ur fish to.. GLAD UR ALIVE be safe man

Damn, that's a crazy story! Glad your alright!

WoW that is about as scary as it gets, talk about a reason to be thankful for being able to write a report. Sorry to hear about all the casualties, but glad you are okay...all the rest can and will be eventually replaced.

TD

Glad to hear you are safe. That's the most important thing. Gears can be replaced, but your life on the other hand is a different matter. Good to see you did not lose your fishing spirit. Fish On my friend.

Thats just SCARY!! Im glad you are Ok. But damn! they didnt give you any free days to come back?

That sucks....!...That being said..usually when things go wrong on the water it is a bunch of small things that happen all together, rather quickly, that make for one big problem...
    1."Then, it started getting windy" 2."made another drift/troll towards the dam" 3. "3.5hp motor ran out of gas" 4."Trolling motor come off the transom" 5."pulled my phone out, and miraculously it WORKED! I called my wife"
    I would say that this is a pretty good lesson for everyone..If the order of these events was slighly different then the out come would have been a non issue...First have the lake's number on your phone..I know for a fact the JAG107 will never have this happen to him again.....

Dang!!!!! That HAD to have been really scary! Glad you're alright bro!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast