Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my drag won't tighten up?!?!

Send it back, you doing any work on it voids the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallco1 View Post
    Take your handle off and remove the drag washers. Clean the drag washers with WD 40 and dry very thoroughly. Now just put a VERY small amout of reel oil on the washers. That should solve your problem.
    ???????? Oh Boy!!!! Where do they come from??

Whatever you do, DONT do this!!!

Honestly, don't be lazy, if it is a defect then return it, not worth messing around with it and then ending up messing up the reel worst.

If it's braid line you're using, then try this. Take all the line out, put a little tape on spool and then re-spool with braid and try pulling the line, if it's still soft then it's a defect. Like i said before "RETURN IT" haha good luck with which ever route you take.

What's wrong with WD40 and oil on the drag washers?

I use WD40 for everything...I even spray it on my baits.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Yeah...wd40 is basically water, whats wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Haha DS, as the name implies WD40 is a water displacement formula, but it destroys the oil/grease bond you have on your drag washers. reel oil has too low viscosity and you'll have to re-apply every few hours of use if you want your drags not stuttering.

by all means put them on your baits so they dont get water logged and some even say its a fish attractant, but stick to cals or shimano drag grease for the drag washers..

ohh and lets not forget how effective WD40 is on warts and bunions!

Quote Originally Posted by oomicha3loo View Post
    Yeah...wd40 is basically water, whats wrong with that?
    WD40 is NOT basically water.. quite the opposite actually.. and even if it is, you definitely dont want any water on your drag washers..

Take ur reel back and get a new one that WORKS !

Quote Originally Posted by BassFreak View Post
    WD40 is NOT basically water.. quite the opposite actually.. and even if it is, you definitely dont want any water on your drag washers..
    Not to be a smart *** or anything..
    Function

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast