Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pen fishing rods

Default pen fishing rods

has anyone ever fished with these things? it starts out looking like a pen and then u take off the cap and extend the rod and guides. they come in the 5'3" and 4'9" models in ultralight. look pretty cool and can come with different reels. just wondering if anyone has used 1 and wld giv some feedback....penfishingrods.com is the site

I don't know if it was the same brand, but I got one as a gift a few years ago. It had a push button casting reel. The reel had a star drag on it, but the drag wasn't very good so it went from no drag to breaking the line with almost no adjustment in between. I put a better reel on the rod and took it fishing once. The tip got nicked or something and it started shredding the line when I reeled it back in. Ended up throwing the rod and reel away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    has anyone ever fished with these things? it starts out looking like a pen and then u take off the cap and extend the rod and guides. they come in the 5'3" and 4'9" models in ultralight. look pretty cool and can come with different reels. just wondering if anyone has used 1 and wld giv some feedback....penfishingrods.com is the site
    I have a similar model that's like 3' and also had the push button reel. Basically the rod is handy for fishing in seriously unpressured waters for fish that aren't over a pound. If you put a spinning reel on it you can catch some decent size fish.

I love tiny pen type rods for creek fishing trout but the one I ordered was crap.
    Wanna buy it? Still have it. lol

I think I got the flyrod version.
    The guides on those things are junk. That's why they don't work good.
    If you can polish the guides somehow they'll work fine.
    The one I have for fly fishing works because fly line won't be cut by the guides.
    If the leader of the fly line goes into the guides though it will cut it.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I found some tiny tiny graphite rods that are 3 or 4 feet long and break down into 10" long sections.
    Ebay.
    Small enough to fit on my motorcycle or in my backpack and go creek fishing.
    Caught a 3lb lmb with a flylined senko on it too.

OK let's just assume I'm gonna edit every post I make.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Venture...#ht_1608wt_698
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-11-2011 at 01:26 PM.

might as well just get a Daiwa Spinmatic pack rod... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDMQ8wIwBA#

Obviously not as small as a pen rod, but if you just need to fit it in a backpack this will do the trick.

@craigh: yea thers a ton of videos of ppl catching fish. i guess ther r some copycats out ther also so idk
    @ifishtoolittle: i was going to get the spinnig version for like 30 bucks
    @tacklejunkie: haha on the editing. naa man im good on the rod except if it was lik 5 bucks. i was goin to do some creekish fishing with it also. good job on the lmb sounds lik a fun fight
    @gavin310: ill check them out but ill prob just get the pen cuz ill b running and gunning from the cops with this rod
    also, does anyone know the difference between a front and rear drag system? i thought the front would be bettr but the rear is 19 bucks more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Yeah, I used them before. In fact, that's all I ever use are Pen Fishing Rods. My favorite is the MX15 AA (all aluminum) rear drag reel with the 5' 3" Goliath rod. Once you fight a fish on one of them, you are hooked for life. "No pun intended." If you ever have any questions about any of the Pen Fishing Rods line of products, just email the President & CEO at sales@penfishingrods.com. Trust me, he is a great guy and deals with all the customers or any issues they might have personally!
    Wait a minute, I AM the President & CEO. :) In fact, here I am in these videos wacking bass on them!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrLOyY2EhY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4T8qT5q-V0
    Last edited by Penfishingrods; 04-17-2011 at 04:59 PM.

oh kool dude. yea mine is supposed to come in tomorrow. got the same model except its a front drag system. ive seen the videos alredy and cant wait to cath a 19 something to get that 100 bucks!!!

Frequent Flyer,
    I just received mine last week. Got the Goliath with the front drag reel. Haven't fished mine yet but here are some observations: 1) I like front drag reels so that is what I ordered (also, the cheapest combo). The reel seems adequate to handle the recommended 4# - 6# test line but I would consider the all aluminum reel next time, 2) Can't get any more portable than the Pen Fishing rod. Fits in the car glove compartment. The aluminum cover gives total protection when the rod is closed, 3) You can cast a good distance with the rod, 4) High on the cool factor scale. Pull the rod out and everyone will pay attention, 5) I think fishing the rod will be a lot of fun and gives an extra challenge, which I like, 6) If you ever communicate with Mr. President/CEO, he'll get back to you right away. Very good communications.

One thing I did make out of some thin wire is a line threader that makes it easier and faster threading the fishing line through the guides. This threads the line through the guides before extending the rod. Even better is getting a threader similar to those used by fly tiers. So, follow the instructions and have fun. P.S. The $100 is MINE!
    Last edited by Fishnfun; 04-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast