Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying boat from another state without seeing it

If your going to spend 25K, what's anther $500.00 for a plane ticket? Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach D' View Post
    Thank you OK and NH ! I don't have an boat in particular, just see an AWFUL LOT of nice "looking" boats on ebay and other sites. I REALLY want to have the potential to run to catalina, but also ability to get into more shallow fresh water spots (preferably trolling motor).

Are the sides of bay boats (only boats ive seen with trolling motor) too shallow or our offshore (Catalina) conditions?
    You can do Catalina on a smaller boat but it's not advised.
    If you watch the marine weather that is the whole key.

You can't always plan ahead then go for it if the weather is questionable.

My buddy has a Ranger 24' Bayrunner Merc 250 Troller up front.
    We hit Catalina, San Clemente Island. We go from SD off Mexico sometimes 30 - 50
    miles offshore. 70 gallon gas tank, then brings 6 @ 5 gallon plastic cans tied together up front. He has a T top with plastic/zippers that wraps around the front and sides out at a angle to stay dry. Still, no freeboard, a boat like a Skipjack is more heavy with freeboard. But the advantage of a faster boat is you can get out of town quick.

Sometimes it feels like we are on the smallest boat offshore but it handles good as long as wind/waves don't get too bad. I've had friends do Catalina on a 13' Whaler but it all depends on the wind and swell. If you plan on fishing much sometimes it is best to spend the night and not risk the afternoon wind. My nephew does Catalina on his 17' Whaler then camps at the campground. It is nice to have a cabin or cuddy cab to keep your stuff dry. My nephew has to bag everything (clothes ect) with his wet boat (no freeboard).

Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
    My 17' Cuddy Cab doesn't have them and all the water has to be pumped out.
    If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL.

Start to take a few waves over the side with a dead motor and that thing could sink in 2minutes. Thinking your bildge pumps will keep up while your getting rocked with a dead motor could get ugly.
    'Hello Vessel Assist, I'm Sinking. ZZZZZZZZZZ'

Webmaster Jeff's boat doesnt look very big and he hits Catalina & Clemente.
    Good Luck, DR

This is what we fish offshore on. LOL Not recommended.
    He also has a big bait tank behind the seat, 3 bait tanks.
    Tuna Chaser.

Check it out.

http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=38&mid=5989
    Last edited by DockRat; 03-16-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    You can do Catalina on a smaller boat but it's not advised.
    If you watch the marine weather that is the whole key.

You can't always plan ahead then go for it if the weather is questionable.

My buddy has a Ranger 24' Bayrunner Merc 250 Troller up front.
    We hit Catalina, San Clemente Island. We go from SD off Mexico sometimes 30 - 50
    miles offshore. 70 gallon gas tank, then brings 6 @ 5 gallon plastic cans tied together up front. He has a T top with plastic/zippers that wraps around the front and sides out at a angle to stay dry. Still, no freeboard, a boat like a Skipjack is more heavy with freeboard. But the advantage of a faster boat is you can get out of town quick.

Sometimes it feels like we are on the smallest boat offshore but it handles good as long as wind/waves don't get too bad. I've had friends do Catalina on a 13' Whaler but it all depends on the wind and swell. If you plan on fishing much sometimes it is best to spend the night and not risk the afternoon wind. My nephew does Catalina on his 17' Whaler then camps at the campground. It is nice to have a cabin or cuddy cab to keep your stuff dry. My nephew has to bag everything (clothes ect) with his wet boat (no freeboard).

Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
    If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL.

Start to take a few waves over the side with a dead motor and that thing could sink in 2minutes. Thinking your bildge pumps will keep up while your getting rocked with a dead motor could get ugly.
    'Hello Vessel Assist, I'm Sinking. ZZZZZZZZZZ'

Webmaster Jeff's boat doesnt look very big and he hits Catalina & Clemente.
    Good Luck, DR
    I agree with him, but for speed my neighbor 26' skippy cruises at 20-25 knotts with a dual props (5.7L)

"Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
    If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL
    Great info! I need to hear many things just like this to help me make a sound decision

Hey DR, what are the 5 gallon plastic cans for? added bouyancy?

DockRat
    This is what we fish offshore on. LOL Not recommended.
    He also has a big bait tank behind the seat, 3 bait tanks.
    Tuna Chaser.
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking about as a potential option? Its great to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks again

Hey DR, what are the 5 gallon plastic cans for? added bouyancy?
    Gas, 70 gals + 30 gal in cans is good for a 4:00 am launch and cruise and troll all day.
    I might have to pass on some trips this year $$$
    $4 a gallon + filling up his V10 Ford F350 + bait, food.

Bahaaaaaa!! Added buoyancy.

Is that common practice to carry gas in containers like that? Great Idea!

There are lake boats, and there are ocean boats. Fast and light for fresh, quick and heavy for salt. Lots of pros and cons to each side. I tell everyone I have two girl friends............one i really like. If this is your first boat, go and see for yourself if she's rally what you want, on the water, with a sea trial, or lake trial. Take a mechanic along with you to check compression, engine hours, etc. Pretend you are going on a blind date........might be a ding ding ding, might be a damn damn damn.

At least I hope it was a "Top Rated Seller"? If so, it's likely to be his livelihood and he's not likely to jeopardize that gold seal to rip you off ... notice i said "not likely" ... I only buy "bigger" items from TRSs on ebay .. course, i've never purchased anything even approaching 25K ... with all the boats for sale locally, what was it about this one that said: I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS ONE?

Tom
    over and out

Bahaaaaaa!! Added buoyancy.

Is that common practice to carry gas in containers like that? Great Idea!
    I wouldn't say common, but it works. We bungee cord all the extra fuel tanks together and carry a huge funnel.
    DR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast