Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying boat from another state without seeing it

if you are ready to drop 25k on a boat ... just drop $300 on a airfare and check the boat out first in person.

Great, great info! I thank you all for weighing in. Good point about spendin 300 or so on a ticket to go see it myself if I'm going to drop that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEKID View Post
    You can find a local shop to send someone out and look at it or have the dealer get a survey done. But you should go and inspect it yourself.
    This is the best advice....
    Get a local dealer to appraise & Inspect the boat or find a Marine Surveyor to do a Survey (these are hard to find in many locations)..
    Other then a trip there yourself, this would be your best bet IMHO....

Or just RUN!!! lol

If that boat is so sweet WHY is it advertised on eBay ? Go look at it before U buy it.

If I'm spending $25k I wan't to see it and do a compression test.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    This is the best advice....
    Get a local dealer to appraise & Inspect the boat or find a Marine Surveyor to do a Survey (these are hard to find in many locations)..
    Other then a trip there yourself, this would be your best bet IMHO....

Or just RUN!!! lol

Thank you OK and NH ! I don't have an boat in particular, just see an AWFUL LOT of nice "looking" boats on ebay and other sites. I REALLY want to have the potential to run to catalina, but also ability to get into more shallow fresh water spots (preferably trolling motor).

Are the sides of bay boats (only boats ive seen with trolling motor) too shallow or our offshore (Catalina) conditions?

my bad, thank you dockrat and sparky as well. Shoot, I Thank Everybody!!

Bay boats = glasspar, bass boats ect..
    I wouldn't be brave enough to take a 16' to catalina.
    The reason I spent my money on a skipjack over any other boat is because if you tap the side of the skipjack the hull is SOLID compare to a bayrunner or a wellcraft. And on top of that my neighbor (AVID catcherman) had pushed me toward a skipjack. For 25K you can buy a pretty nice 26-28' skipjack or a 24' flybridge. imho buy local before out of state

No, no, no... lookin at least 22'. Sumthin like the Skeeter Zx24V. Thanks for the info though. That is a main area of interest (manufacturers). Any other input is much looked forward to!

I would not take a bass boat to catalina, the hull is way to short to handle 3-6 foot swell, i went to catalina yesterday in my skipjack and it was 3-5 swell and it did fine even anchored down in the back next to the rock.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast