Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying boat from another state without seeing it

Default buying boat from another state without seeing it

Hello, has anyone , or would any of you buy a boat (say 25k) online thru ebay without seeing the boat, and just trusting the description and what the seller/dealer is telling you??

Are there legal repercusions if they lie? "No, there has never been any hull damage or repair. or The boat has never been in salt water."

well would you buy a car with out seeing it.

i personaly i woulnt do it

Default buying-boat-from-another-state-without seeing it in person.

I was just gonna say heck no, before I remembered that years ago I got a Yukon online thru carmax and had it delivered. no probs.

I just figured surely there were some sound advice out there on what to look out for.

Well buying a car is different then buying a boat, a boat has less attention care and less service record (no carfax) and most people look at a boat as a luxury item so imho i would so no but it is your money so spend it wisely

Depends if the dealer/seller is trustworthy.Sometimes that is hard to tell and a lot of scams out there lately.Also does E bay actually enforce there refund policies for that, might be something to look into.

I would never buy a boat without first checking it out. Just because the seller says the hull is good, doesn't mean that there aren't any problems with the motor or the transom is bad or the steering is seized, etc... IMO there are just too many "other" things that can be wrong with a boat. You might also want to check with the DMV about any fees you might have to pay for a boat bought outside of California.

if you want to know the legal side of things, research the uniform commercial code (UCC) and look under the warranty section (I believe it is chapter 2, sections 313-316). Pay close attention to the terminology, it is likely that the seller is not a merchant so some of the warranties may not pertain to him.

If it's a private seller, don't do it. If it's a big dealer, maybe. You can find a local shop to send someone out and look at it or have the dealer get a survey done. But you should go and inspect it yourself.

Don't buy that boat sight unseen.

Only way I would do this is if I had a survey done on the boat.
    Well worth the money if you, personally, can't get out to see it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast