Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need input. Wanting a baitcasting reel to throw light plastics.

One more thing you might want to consider is when you use a baitcaster for such a light bait, the bait sinks towards you at a faster trajectory and depending on depth fo the water, it might just end up at your feet. the spinning set up will allow it to sink straight down (or as close to it as possible considering everything else).

I have/had a pixy and a presso baitcaster that were able to throw fly lined 4.5" roboworms with a LOT of thumb control, but i definitely didnt look forward to doing that all day! save yourself the trouble..

I use the calcutta 50 cant get much lighter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    The fish dont give a crap how professional you may look with a baitcaster!!!!

LOL, Thank God I'm not either.

Thanks for the input guys.

I should have added more detail to my original post.

I don't think I ever throw the 4 " or smaller Robo / similar worms weightless. Normally I use those on my dropshot setup or with a jig.

I totally understand that spinning rods are a non-brainer for finesse fishing.

I throw lots of Senco's and Creature type plastics more often than the real light stuff like the Roboworms and when I do fly line Roboworms, I'm normally throwing the 6" and 7" ones . I should have specified on some occasions I also use tungsten nailweights with my Roboworms and other similar worms.

From reading through the previous replies it sounds like I will be able throw quite a lot of my plastics with one of the above mentioned baitcasters, and I will keep a second spinning rod for throwing my ultra lite stuff.

I'm a couple of weeks away from buying something, so I will continue to wait for other replies.

Brian

Can't believe I forgot to mention the 50mg. Not only a great caster, but reel overall. The Scorpion 1500 would be the JDM equivalent. There are a few reels that fits your casting requirements, but very few that also fit your price requirements. Look for something mechanically flawless, but physically used. That way you can grab some of the finesse JDM stuff at much better prices.

Oh for those that mentioned the Calcutta 50, it cas cast light(ish) baits, but will not cast much under 1/4oz very far. The Calcutta 50 is NOT a Conquest 50 equivalent.

I know it's an old thread, but maybe it will be a timely resurrection for someone

Your best bet for throwing weightless plastics with a baitcaster in its stock configuration would be
    1. (Toss up) TD Ito 103 or Daiwa PX Type R
    2. Daiwa Liberto Pixy
    3. Shimano Calcutta Conquest 50
    4. Daiwa Steez
    5. Abu Revo MGX
    6. Shimano core 50
    I do understand all of these are expensive for stock reels like all this types https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-baitcasting-reels/ but they are undeniably the best available right now for tossing lightweight rigs. Outside of that you would want something Supertuned. This is where the real fun begins if you are inclined to go down that rabbit hole. I throw almost exclusively baitcast setups. My personal favorite hands down is my tuned TD-Ito 103M. It can throw a 4 inch senko a mile. and weightless worms better than any spinning setup I own. Tuning can be fun hobby during down time. As I'm sure you already know, line weight makes an incredible difference as well I use somewhere between 10-25lb braid on all my setups and the PowerePro SuperSlick is the best I've found in terms of castability. If the price tag of these reels turn you off, a great alternative would be to get a nice lightweight reel of your choice and order a set of Boca Bearing orange seal ceramic ABEC 7 spool bearings. Almost all spool bearings are available and easily found on their site by selecting your reel from a list, and can be easily installed with very little trouble. You would not believe the difference they make on a reel and its ability to cast. Welcome to any additional info I can give. Happy Hunting.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.

Last edited by Jandur; 11-14-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Going weightless on a casting rig , you have understand the mechanics of a BC . When you are trying throw weightless you are really over speeding the spool for distance. A spinner isn’t under those stresses , line just peels off spool on the spinner .

Try the new Diawa tatula 100 I own 2 and it works well with light plastics.

Just want to add that the rod is an extremely important piece of the puzzle too. You need a rod that will load up under the weight (or lack of it) with a light lure. Sure a 100 size reel is good, but a medium power rod, with a true medium action tip will really help. In fact even a $49 Black Max with the right buggy whip rod can hurl a Roboworm pretty darn well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12