Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need input. Wanting a baitcasting reel to throw light plastics.

Default Need input. Wanting a baitcasting reel to throw light plastics.

Hi,

I'm looking to make the switch to throwing my plastics with a baitcaster. I'm freshwater finesse bass fishing and throwing weightless worms (Roboworms and similar light worms) , Sencos, and various Creatures. I do most of my fishing in the city lakes and need to be able to cast far to get into some of my target areas.

I'm looking to spend less than $200. I'd love to get a Shimano Core 51 (left handed), but I'm looking to stay on a budget.

I've read up on the Revo STX and they sound good. I've used a Revo S in the past for throwing some top water stuff and was happy with it, but I want something with easier adjustments.

I'd be very interested in some other reels close to the Shimano 50 series size, but would like to get some input.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian

if you plan on contuing fishing weightless, you may want to opt on sticking with a spinning set up.

i understand how distance on casts at city parks lakes may equal more hook ups, but fishing robos with no weight on a casting set up may not do you any justice in regards to distance.

maybe somone else may have some info i'm unaware of.......

4" weightless robos warrant a spinning setup.
    6" weightless robos can be done with a casting setup, but still recommend spinning.
    Senko, at nearly 3/8oz, is not light and can be fished with nearly any reel.

If you're still interested, here's the scoop. The REVO line does not have a finesse caster. I'd recommend the discontinued Daiwa Sol or finding a used JDM Daiwa Pixy. The only reel in the Shimano lineup that can cast weightless robos would be the Core 50, maybe(big maybe) the Curado 50.

i have a chronarch 50 mg, and it throws light plastics with no problem, but i have upgraded the drags and new bearings

The Chronarch 50MG as Kaneo has mentioned would be your best best.

But like others have mentioned, unless you're willing to drop some serious coin, you might as well save yourself a lot of frustration and use a spinning rod if you're going to fly line Roboworms.

I think even a Conquest 50S might have issues pulling that feat off.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneo View Post
    i have a chronarch 50 mg, and it throws light plastics with no problem, but i have upgraded the drags and new bearings
    You have 2 of the MG 50's and a GREAT reel mechanic LMAO !!!!

There are a couple of Baitcasters that will throw light presentations, but you are talking some cash & frustration at finding/using them...

FYI, I always use spinning rigs for light stuff up to 8# line..
    Just makes life simpler & easier...
    The fish dont give a crap how professional you may look with a baitcaster!!!!

Shimano Scorpion 1000/1001 if you want to go cheap. Daiwa Sol is another good one that isn't overly priced. Best of the best would be the Pixy but it's way over your price range. A few other reels that are able to throw light plastics would be the 50mg, the old Curado 100b's, and Calcutta 50's maybe. Those are the reels I could think of at the top of my head at the moment.

Hi Bman90278,

Weightless roboworms are best thrown with spinning rigs with no more than 6lbs line for distance. Even then, they don't cast very far because of the worm 's softness.

I have a Cardiff 100 and Curado 51 to throw lighter stuff. But I 'd pull out the spinning rig with 6lb line if finesse presentation is what 's needed.

Anyway, if you 've set on getting a baitcaster, I have a Curado 51 in brand new condition-used once, that I 'll sell to you for $ 140. Box, tool, and warranty card included.

take from a guy who has used ,and saw the birth of the modern baitcasters since the late 70,s and on,.i use to use the old black tiny shimano bantams ,with the v spool.the lightest wieght i could cast a desent distance, without a backlash was 1/4 oz.texas style.back then i was a stubburn young man addicted to baitcasters only.the guys are right about using spinning gear for lighter fennesse applications.thats why its called that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    The fish dont give a crap how professional you may look with a baitcaster!!!!

Amen to that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast