Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairmount Park - Beautiful Weather, Promising Conditions, and a 3lb. Bass!

Default Fairmount Park - Beautiful Weather, Promising Conditions, and a 3lb. Bass!

Today I went to Fairmount with a good friend from church and decided to ride our bikes around the park and fish some spots for fun. It was absolutely beautiful day and there was nobody there. We went around the park and I stopped at a few spots to fish. As a side note, the conditions looked promising! The water was WAY cleaner than this last weekend. I was shocked the water was so clear with a few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frairmount Spring 2011.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	28956

As I was fishing the roots along the Northwestern park of Lake Evans, and all of a sudden, BAM! FISH ON! I hooked up a massive Fairmount Bass. It was probably a 3lb. Bass.

So I started to reel the Bass in, it was an amazing fight (yet the bite was very subtle causing me to do a quick hook set, so I was worried about the fish spitting the hook)!

As I brought him to the shore, the Bass randomly went into a palm frown, so I began to panic! The Bass began to tumble and roll over the fishing line! So in quickly, I laid down my rod at my side and grabbed the slacked line and pulled the fish near the shore so I could lip him. As I bent down to lip the Bass, I slipped on the lose, the Bass jumped, and SNAP! The lined broke off with the lure still in his mouth and he slowly swam away.

SO DISAPPOINTING! So if you catch a 3lb. Bass at Fairmount with a lure still in its mouth, then you can keep it, lol.

Looking forward to going next week to try and land another one!

*I slipped on the lose dirt by the roots on the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapala17 View Post

SO DISAPPOINTING! So if you catch a 3lb. Bass at Fairmount with a lure still in its mouth, then you can keep it
    Thank you sir but its always been my practice to release all the bass I catch....oh wait, were you talking about the lure? haha....

Seriously, thanks for the report I'm sure you'll get 'em next time. The season has just started but bassin' is gonna be particularly productive this year based on all the recent reports.

Yes, the lure!!! I Catch and Release always, especially at Fairmount Park!

great report. sucks about the lost bass. thers a lot of stuff to get stuck on down ther especially over ther. wat bait wer u using? i lik the crack craws from bass pro but have yet to catch 1 but sall good

@Frequent Flyer:
    I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you, jk lol! I will tell you this; I was using bright colors. =)

By the way, that Bass made me stressed the rest of the day because it was indeed, the largest Bass I have caught at Fairmount Park, EVER! And when I end up hooking it up, I slip, the Bass jumps, the line snaps, and it swims off with my bait still in its mouth as well. Ugh, lol!

Cannot wait to get that Bass again!

Rapala17 "slipped" and the "line broke" eh? Fish stories, much?!!! :-P j/k man.. Nice report and nice catch. I will check out the mount this weekend.

Way to go Rapala!!! I got the skunk last weekend but i will be there next week for sure.

@Mestre909:
    I knew someone was going to say this so that is why I was so disappointed I did not get to lip the Bass and post a sweet picture. I slipped on the roots when I went down to lip the fish. It sucked so bad because my sandals got in the water so they were soggy after that as well!

@bassgrabber1:
    I wish I had a picture to show you this big Bass! I have not caught a fish there since last year in the Summer when I fished there. The most promising thing is to know that there are some Fairmount Lunkers still in the Lake!

You have to do what I do (because I'm "The Fairmount Master"... Ha! yeah right) I carry along a long handled landing net, just for the reason that happened to Rapala. Sometimes you just cannot find a place to step down to lip your bass without falling or slipping into the lake. All those slippery roots. I've lost several nice fish because I couldn't reach them quick enough. I use a soft nylon shad net that won't harm the bass or tear it's fins. I also use the net to put any trash in that I find along the shoreline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast