Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your list of different fish'' ON THE FLY''

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    I'd argue that you list is a pretty good one already. I can't think of much that's funner than fishing poppers for bluegill.
    hmmm a popper hu

im going to have to get some of those. my blue gills came on lil beetle looking things not sure of there name. it just looked like a brown beetle with now legs and a black belly.

on the fly fish for me are:
    LMB
    SMB
    Crappie
    Bluegill
    redear
    white bass
    rainbow
    brown
    golden
    cutthroat
    mackinaw
    kokanee
    sunfish
    walleye
    yellow perch
    Pike
    Grayling

i think that is it for me!!

i still would love to add muskie and any saltwater would be sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post
    hmmm a popper hu

im going to have to get some of those. my blue gills came on lil beetle looking things not sure of there name. it just looked like a brown beetle with now legs and a black belly.
    I like a small, yellow popper. It's kinda fun because the hit it with a "splat." Every once-in-a-while a bass will take a wack at it too.

Also had really good results just skating an elk hair caddis across the surface. Sure wish I lived closer to a good bluegill lake.

I've caught tilapia on flies, but they don't seem to attack dries like bluegill do.

Hmm I've only flyfished a few times and each time I don't put more then an hour in.

So my list is:

Bluegill
    LMB

Now on the "FLY" I've fished them on UL spinning outfits and for that my list is:

Bluegill
    LMB
    Redear
    Rainbow Trout
    Squawfish
    SMB

Quote Originally Posted by gogreeenz4 View Post
    brown rainbow brook cuttthroat lmb smb catfish and carp oh and crappie blue gill is my list..havent been in the salt yet but would like to soon like this summer
    good luck this summer try la jolla,NPH,catalina, it's a'''''' blast''''

I use flies all the time, but not with traditional flyfishing gear.

Mine are all home-made, and I use all of them in the surf. A white feather with mackerel stripes or sardine dots works quite well.

the only fish I ever caught "traditionally" were bluegill, crappie, a single LMB, rainbow, and brown trout.

with my own flies:

YFC, BSP, SBB, calico bass, sandies, hundreds of jacksmelt, a few surf bonito, and numerous pancakes.

Oddly enough, walleye surfperch wont touch them. Never understood why..
    Last edited by smokehound; 03-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.

I like a small, yellow popper. It's kinda fun because the hit it with a "splat." Every once-in-a-while a bass will take a wack at it too.

Also had really good results just skating an elk hair caddis across the surface. Sure wish I lived closer to a good bluegill lake.

I've caught tilapia on flies, but they don't seem to attack dries like bluegill do.

yea im going to hit up dvl and perris for those Florida strain blue gills they got. so what would the tilapia bite on better a nymph or bead head or what ever the heck there name is. since corona and sarl stock them im looking forward to flicking a fly for them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post
    yea im going to hit up dvl and perris for those Florida strain blue gills they got. so what would the tilapia bite on better a nymph or bead head or what ever the heck there name is. since corona and sarl stock them im looking forward to flicking a fly for them to.
    I've caught them on a bead-head nymph - a hare's ear to be exact, a San Juan Worm with a bead-head, a zebra midge. I don't think the pattern matters. The species in Balboa, I think, is primarily an algae grazer. I've never caught one on a dry and they seem to peck at the flies rather than eat them like bass, bluegill, trout, etc.. We've watched 'em in the shallows - pull a fly through a school and several fish move on it, occasionally one will take a nip at it. I've been told that a fly consisting of nothing by olive green marabou works well because it looks like algea. I've never tried it.

If anyone has a good technique for scoring tilapia on flies, I'd love to hear about it.

I've read that there are other species of tilapia that are more carnivorous, but I never seem to come across any at our local spot.

I've caught them on a bead-head nymph - a hare's ear to be exact, a San Juan Worm with a bead-head, a zebra midge. I don't think the pattern matters. The species in Balboa, I think, is primarily an algae grazer. I've never caught one on a dry and they seem to peck at the flies rather than eat them like bass, bluegill, trout, etc.. We've watched 'em in the shallows - pull a fly through a school and several fish move on it, occasionally one will take a nip at it. I've been told that a fly consisting of nothing by olive green marabou works well because it looks like algea. I've never tried it.

If anyone has a good technique for scoring tilapia on flies, I'd love to hear about it.

I've read that there are other species of tilapia that are more carnivorous, but I never seem to come across any at our local spot.
    yeah that algae fly makes since just like a simple olive wooly bugger would seem to work in that case? were wouldi find tilapia around orange county tho? ive never gotten one and i would love to catch every species of fish possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12