Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Kill Or Not To Kill (Stripers): That is the question????????

Default To Kill Or Not To Kill (Stripers): That is the question????????

This post may generate a bit of controversy/discussion. However, hearing so much dis-information for so long has me wanting to clear some things up.

Had the opportunity to hear from a fisheries biologist in person on a few things Striper, DVL, etc. and here is what I learned.

1. Stripers lay 100,000 eggs per pound of bodyweight. Largemouth lay 13,000 eggs per pound of body weight. However, Stripers are much bigger and grow much faster then Largemouth. Stripers are brodcast egg layers and just spray out their eggs and split the scene. (Kind of like most parents do these days.) Largemouth will guard their eggs, the fry, the young, which results in a lesser degree of mortality then say a Striper that lays its eggs and exits the scene (theoretically). Sometimes Stripers can spawn more then once a year. So you do the math? Lets say you have a trophy striper, a 25 pounder, that spawns twice a year with a 99% mortaliity rate of the eggs/the fry/the young vs. a 10-pound trophy largemouth that spawns once a year with a mortality rate of 99% on the eggs/fry/young. The winner is......The 25-pound Striper with 50,000 off spring to the 10-pound Largemouth bass and its measely 1,300 off spring. Plus the fry of a Striper grow quicker, Striper at DVL grow to the tune of three pounds a year, further imprinting their reproductive domination. To kill or not to kill.

This is fun lets change the numbers. Best case scenario. Since stripers broadcast spawn lets say their mortality is 99.9% versus a Largemouth egg mortality at 99%. Will give the largemouth the benefit of the doubt since they guard their eggs/fry/young. For the sake of best case scenario lets say our 25 pound striper only spawns once this year. Same as the 10-pound largemouth. The winner is, and still by a landslide........2500 off spring for the Striper and 1300 off spring for the largemouth. And that is not even taking into consideration the fact that striper grow quicker and reach reproductive health faster..and,,the fact that they go grow quicker and out compete the largemouth for food. Yet another factor scewing numbers in the favor of the striper..yikes. Theirs no stopping these guys. To kill or not to kill.

Lets change the numbers yet again. This time we have a five pound largemouth and 10-pound Striper. Since stripers broadcast spawn lets say their mortality is 99.9% versus a Largemouth egg mortality at 99%. Will give the largemouth the benefit of the doubt since they guard their eggs/fry/young. For the sake of best case scenario lets say our 10 pound striper (not 25-pounds anymore) only spawns once this year. Same as the 5-pound largemouth. The winner is........1000 offspring for the Striper and 650 offspring for the largemouth. And that is not even taking into consideration the fact that striper grow quicker and reach reproductive health faster..and,,the fact that they go grow quicker and out compete the largemouth for food. Yet another factor scewing numbers in the favor of the striper..yikes. Theirs no stopping these guys. To kill or not to kill.

Okay, okay lets change the numbers one more time. This time we have a five pound largemouth and 5-pound Striper. Since stripers broadcast spawn lets say their mortality is 99.9% versus a Largemouth egg mortality at 99%. Will give the largemouth the benefit of the doubt since they guard their eggs/fry/young. For the sake of best case scenario lets say our 5 pound striper (not 10-pounds or 25-pounds anymore) only spawns once this year. Same as the 5-pound largemouth. The winner is........500 offspring for the Striper and 650 offspring for the largemouth. Finally, Ive managed to finds a situation where the striper is out produced by the Largemouth. Oh, but wait, that is not even taking into consideration the fact that striper grow quicker and reach reproductive health faster..and,,the fact that they go grow quicker and out compete the largemouth for food, and the fact that their are more five pound stripers in DVL then five pound bass.. ..yikes. Theirs no stopping these guys. To kill or not to kill.

3. According to the biologist Stripers have no issue spawning without running water. If I had a dime for every time someone told me they could not spawn at DVL when in actually they can and are I'd at last be in a Ranger versus a Tracker. Their eggs just need a short period of time to be suspended in the water table and then..bam, bang, hatch time. To kill or not to kill.

4. Their is no mysterious screen or grate that keeps additional stripers or rough species from being added to DVL through the aquaduct water. Im not sure where these rumors get started, but I had my suspicions when I saw a 25-pound carp swim by opening day at DVL.) Thus, another factor compounding the Striper DVL epidemic. If they werent increasing enough through natural reproduction, their are multitudes being brought in through the aquaduct water to add to the numbers. At the very least far more Striped Bass then Largemouth bass are being brought in probably as I type this. to kill or not to kill.

5. The Striper is ocean fish, thus, mother nature is naive to them when they end up in freshwater. Their only predator is you, me, well not so much me, I had been throwing them back until now. To kill or not to kill.

That is the question?????

The Striper Pledge:

I (Insert your name here) do solemly swear to catch Stripers judiciously by any means necessary (within DFG guidelines). I then take the oath to ensure they are not released unharmed to said body of water by making sure they feel the rath of the sharp end of a fillet knife, pocket knife, or any similar blunt instrument of cutting and mangling. Said Stripers will then be filleted and prepared in a manner conducive to tastiness and hunger supressing prepared to ones choosing coupled with any a variety of beverages preferably cold in nature. The sole responsibility with then be bestowed on the digestive system to ensure when the species in question, Stripers, see the light of day again it will at any of a number local sewage treatment facilities.

I take a stand,
    (Insert your name here)
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 02-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.

good thread. I agree on the kill. But see the ****** thing is i personally like to catch striper's more than i do bass. Alot more fun! Bass get boring after awhile especially since they mature slowly. I agree, it sucks that they do grow slowly cause then they might be more fun to catch. So i also support the realease of large striper's so there able to give someone else a ton of fun . People don't remember a ten pound bass after they have caught a twenty five pound striper. So all in all, Kill the little one's and catch and release on the bass.

I say...yummy to all stripers. Great tacos!

Brent

I caught a couple when they first started appearing in the lake. Since I don't eat fresh water fish 9with the exception of catfish) I released them. I was asked by one of the og fish biologist that started the fish population in the lake to step on their head and throw them on the bank for the coyotes to snack on. No matter how many are caught and kept, they are in that lake now and and never will be siginificaly impacted by fishing pressure. Just say so long to catching nice holdover trout from now on. I personally would perfer catching a holdover on 2-3lb test floro than a striper.

On that note, I do eat fresh water fish now.....stripers. I have to say they are easy to fillet and cook up just as good as a salt water fish.

kill them all...

Throw every Swimbait-of-Mass-Destruction you got at 'em!

Go get 'em!

TS

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Throw every Swimbait-of-Mass-Destruction you got at 'em!

Go get 'em!

TS
    hahhahahahahahahahahahha i like that

Quote Originally Posted by Kareem Korn View Post
    ....I was asked by one of the og fish biologist that started the fish population in the lake to step on their head and throw them on the bank for the coyotes to snack on.
    Seems like you're not the only one, since I've had SEVERAL DFG Wardens tell me the same thing. BUT, what surprises me is...if even DFG Biologists AND Wardens share the same ideology about the stripers being an invasive species and recommend making fertilizer with them, why are there still limits on them in SoCal?

Is this one of those instances where regulations catch up to research 20 years down the line?

Kill em....kille em all!!!

Die Stripers Die!!!

Good Thread HR , I feel lucky to have been able to hunt and catch some of the holdover trout in the years past at DVL , BUT ive since then learned to enjoy the pull and taste from a DVL striper . You can get them trolling or chuck and grind . Get the big ones now as in 5 years they will be all schooly size from over population . Years past there were florida strain LMB in castaic , but the stripeys overtookem . KILL EM ALL and good eatin .// db

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast