Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a Float Tubing Newb

Glad to help.

as one of the guy's said, flats boots work well.simm's makes some they mite be in the size you are looking.
    i use the cabelas lite weight boot but they only go up to sz 13. don't go to cheap here buy something comfortable the worst thing is sore cramping feet.simms also makes good quality waders in custom sizes, breathable are way to go.caddis makes some step in fins you wear your booties in.your choice on the super fat cat is spot on,i sell them in san diego for outcast they have outstanding products and service.
    hope this help's

tight lines

Thanks bluecat. Im still leaning toward the super fat cat. I will look into the Simms Boots.

Let me start off by saying, you have received great advice on this subject. I personally fish from a Super Fat Cat, the tube is great, has large pockets to store plenty of gear, inflatable seat and back rest for excellent comfort, and 13” tubes which allow you to sit higher out of the water. I also have a pvc four rob holder, and a Humminbird fish finder. This is a great tube, I would definitely recommend it.

As for waders, I would also recommend the breathable stocking foot waders. Bass Pro, Cableas, Simms, there are many affordable waders. In spring you will be more comfortable, winter you can layer to stay warm. Be sure they fit like clown pants, need to have enough length in the legs to allow you to sit down.

Fins, this was an issue for me. I tried cheap fins, you get what you pay for. I also tried fins I used when I used to body surf, not enough thrust, diving fins will tire you quicker due to their length and weight. I tried a friends Force fin, they work well, plenty of thrust, more difficult to put on, easy to walk in, just a high price around $200. Finally, I bought the Hot Spot fins, they work well, have plenty of thrust, light weight don’t notice them in the water, they float, and are easy to put on and take off.

Hope this helps, here is a pic of my tube, this is just one way you can modify it for your needs.

Here is a pic of my tube and Socalbassmans Fish Cat 4 tube at Perris Lake
    Last edited by bassguy; 02-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Wow Bassguy great info. I've already ordered my stocking foot waders, so Im good there. Im going to go with the Super Fat Cat so that is good. Where do I get Hot Spot fins? I cant seem to find them online.

That rod holder you have is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by snslarison View Post
    Ok so a couple of questions...

If I go with the flats boots over my waders, can should I get a larger size in them? For instance I wear a size 13 shoe. If I'm wearing the waders will size 13 flats boots fit over them or do I need size 14?

Also with this type of boots should I use the strap on type fins or should I use the diving (slip on) type?
    Yes, you want to go at least one size bigger than your shoe size. For example, I wear a size 11 shoe. I bought a size 12 flats boots and it is just the right size to accommodate the waders and socks. As someone pointed out, the best way is to try everything out in the store. You don't want it to be tight or it will lead to cramping. If you think it feels tight out of the water, it'll feel even tighter in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by snslarison View Post
    Wow Bassguy great info. I've already ordered my stocking foot waders, so Im good there. Im going to go with the Super Fat Cat so that is good. Where do I get Hot Spot fins? I cant seem to find them online.

That rod holder you have is awesome!
    I purchased mine at Turners Outdoorsman in West Covina. They we're the only place I could find them. Be sure to purchase the fins to fit over booties.

Cool thanks guys. I will go to the store and try on the boots before I get them. I will have to check with Turners on the fins.

You guys are great. Thanks for all of the help. Im excited to be getting into this.

Let us know when you get all your gear. Not sure what you fish for, Bass, Trout, pan fish, Socal Bassman and I hit Perris and Castaic regularly, let us know if we can help you out. Good luck, float tubing is a great way to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bassguy View Post
    Let us know when you get all your gear. Not sure what you fish for, Bass, Trout, pan fish, Socal Bassman and I hit Perris and Castaic regularly, let us know if we can help you out. Good luck, float tubing is a great way to fish.
    Cool. Will do. I fish for mostly trout and bass. But I am looking forward to getting into the bays too.

Thanks again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast