Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions from a Float Tubing Newb

Default Questions from a Float Tubing Newb

I am going to be buying a float tube and necessary equipment within the next month or so, but I have a lot of questions before I move forward. All advice will be appreciated.

Float Tube- I am 6’5” 255 lbs and I am leaning towards getting the Outcast Super Fat Cat LCS. Is this my best bet or do you guys have other suggestions?

Waders- I’m kind of lost here but I’m leaning towards breathable bootless waders and getting some wading boots. Question- Is this what you’re supposed to do? Or do you just go without the boots? I’m confused here.

Fins- I’m leaning towards the “strap on” type that go over the wading boots. Is this the way to go?

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Scott

I just found this website not too long ago. I love to fish but haven't put enough effort into it but I need to change that. I too am about your size and looked long and hard for a Float Tube a while back. I ended up going with the same tube that you are leaning towards. It is pretty cool it has lots of room I have a rack for multiple rods and a fish finder to boot. The inflatable seat is a plus as well. As for the waders I have pair that I bought at Sport Chalet some time back. They are not breathable as I wanted to wade with them if I went stream fishing as well. As for the fins I believe they are Force fins that go over your boots. The waders also have neoprene booties attached and I put the fins over them. I do not wear boots in the tube what is the point. I do have a pair of wading boots that I did buy from Sport Chalet that have held up pretty well though. Take care

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by ZugBug1313 View Post
    I just found this website not too long ago. I love to fish but haven't put enough effort into it but I need to change that. I too am about your size and looked long and hard for a Float Tube a while back. I ended up going with the same tube that you are leaning towards. It is pretty cool it has lots of room I have a rack for multiple rods and a fish finder to boot. The inflatable seat is a plus as well. As for the waders I have pair that I bought at Sport Chalet some time back. They are not breathable as I wanted to wade with them if I went stream fishing as well. As for the fins I believe they are Force fins that go over your boots. The waders also have neoprene booties attached and I put the fins over them. I do not wear boots in the tube what is the point. I do have a pair of wading boots that I did buy from Sport Chalet that have held up pretty well though. Take care

Bryan
    Ok, so you dont think I need the boots? I thought I was supposed to wear them while in the tube. I hear the waders are not durable enough to be walking over rocks and stuff to get to the water.

I'm no expert at float tubing but I will let you know what works for me. I have a togiak float tube with a rod rack that will hold three rods on each side, I use one for my poles and the rack for my net, pliers etc. I also have a hummingbird fishing buddy 140C. This unit helps me locate structure, fish and gives me the water temperature.
    I use breathable stocking foot waders with wading boots I like the boots because I can get in and out the water and walk if necessary without ruining my stocking foot waders.
    I'm currently using HotSpot fins. I have heard that Force Fins are the best but they are very expensive.
    You can check out the free float tube forum for additional information http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/ you may also check out this web site http://bassinthehood.com
    Good luck and tight lines.

CPT,

Great info. May be a dumb question but I just want to make sure I understand. So you do wear your fins over your wading boots right?

Thanks,

Scott

My friend has a Super Fat Cat and he loves it. As for the waders, breathable stockingfoot waders are the way to go. You will also need a pair of wading boots to go over the stockingfoot because they will prevent the bottoms from getting worn out from walking on sand and rocks. Also, make sure you get a boot about one or two sizes bigger than your regular shoe size to accommodate the thickness of the stockingfoot and/or layers of socks. As for fins, I've heard a lot about Force fins and Hotspots. Dive fins work good for me.

Cool. Thats the info I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Keep em coming you guys. Anything you think I need to know.

I usually don't wear the boots if I am walking on asphalt or dirt. If I have to walk over rocks yea I wear the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by snslarison View Post
    CPT,

Great info. May be a dumb question but I just want to make sure I understand. So you do wear your fins over your wading boots right?

Thanks,

Scott
    Yes some fins are designed for wader boots and other are made for barefoot or stocking foot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast