Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simply delicious smoked trout

Default Simply delicious smoked trout

ok so i smoked some trout that i caught this weekend and it cam out toooooo good to not share.

the brine was super simple. (i like the flavor of trout so i try not to over season it during any cooking style). sorry i did not use any measuring tools just a larger table spoon i guess a soup spoon is what i used to measure.

Fish prep

- fillet trout leaving the skin on and rinse well.

-Brine
    for every quart of water. (4 cups of water)

1. one modest spoon full of kosher salt.
    2. one decent sized spoon full of plain white sugar
    3. two heaping spoon fulls of brown sugar.

Prep and cook.

1.combine all ingredients and mix until all ingredients are dissolved.

2.in a container that will allow fish fillets to lay completely flat and not over lap. submerge fish in brine. make more brine if needed so fish is completely submerged. Cover and place in fridge for 24hours.

3. remove from brine gently pat dry and place on racks.

4. sprinkle a small amount of table salt, pepper and brown sugar on fish.

5. Let stand for 45min or until fish is at room temperature and a glaze has formed on fish.

6. preheat smoker to 200 degrees, (I used hickory chips).

7. Place fish skin side down directly on to the racks or what ever cooking surface your smoker uses. (do not use foil)
    -this is where it will very for you, the fillets i used were from one 6lb and one 3lb trout. I smoked my fish for approximately 2.5 hours. the fish was completely done but to different degrees of done. both the larger fillets and smaller fillets were fully cooked and very moist. How ever the larger fillets by comparison were much more moist very juicy in fact when i brought them out the larger fillets where dripping. I would of liked to to maybe left the larger fillets in for about another 30 to 45 minutes.
    -so basically for a 2.5-3lb trout fillets 2.5 hours at 200 degrees would be perfect for a very moist fillet, and for a larger fish 3-3.15 hours at 200 degrees would be perfect for a very moist fillet .

I know it is a super simple recipe but please dont turn your nose up to it. after taking one bite i decided i will only be smoking my trout with this recipe from now on it truly was incredibly delicious.

so enjoy and pleas share any feed back you might have

Thats how I did a batch last month and the guys at work devoured it. good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown View Post
    Thats how I did a batch last month and the guys at work devoured it. good stuff
    super simple but super good.

let see some pix....

lol um its all gone. i can dig the skins out of the trash if you want lol

o so whats up with that sandbar

What Kind of papers U use when U smoke trout ?

thanks for the info. i've had both smoked salmon and trout that are too salty. your recipe looks about right. i'll give it a try for sure. firstly, i'd better catch some trout!

What kind of smokers do you guys/gals have? I've been looking at purchasing one- there's a ton of choices! Thx in advance.

I would recommend the propane operated units. I started off with a charcoal unit but I found it too diificult to adjust the temperature and later converted it to electric however if I used an extention cord it would not get to the right temp. You should get one that you could smoke a turkey in it. I could not believe how great my turkey came out. You should try different types of wood for different kinds of meat.

Good choice, except I use Alder or Apple chips to smoke mine.
    Can I have some ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast