Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMOKING!!! Striper

That botttom 1 looks like a WIPER to me !

You might want to try a reduced smoking time. Striper is a fairly lean fish, it doesn't require much time in the smoker. I smoke tuna bellies, which are full of fat, for about 2 hours. Trout take about a hour max in my experience, seem to have about the samel moisture and fat content as a small stiper fillet. Just a suggestion. My Dad's smoker is also not the Little Chief, so that may account for something I suppose.
    Last edited by dockboy; 05-13-2011 at 02:49 AM.

What kind of papers do you use to smoke a lineside ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    That botttom 1 looks like a WIPER to me !
    It could be the flashbacks that you were promised when you bought the LSD.

They came out of Pyramid Lake, I didn't check their DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    You might want to try a reduced smoking time. Striper is a fairly lean fish, it doesn't require much time in the smoker. I smoke tuna bellies, which are full of fat, for about 2 hours. Trout take about a hour max in my experience, seem to have about the samel moisture and fat content as a small stiper fillet. Just a suggestion. My Dad's smoker is also not the Little Chief, so that may account for something I suppose.
    The tuna sounds good!

I was following instructions provided by my "OLD Salt" friend. They turned out OK. I liked the stuff that I smoked longer, better. The texture of the stuff I smoked first (a shorter time) improved after if was in the fridge overnight.

Striper fat depends on the condition of the fish. Castaic striper are really fatty, my hands wind up greasy from cleaning them. Pyramid striper are usually lean but lately they have been getting a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    What kind of papers do you use to smoke a lineside ?
    As long as you don't use toilet paper you'll be OK.

I don't no how to do the multiple copy and paste, but first I'd say good job on finding a new way in eating all the striper you catch... I love to smoke.. fish...
    there's many ways to prepare and also to smoke, dry and wet, brine and marinades with striper and with tuna, I prefer a marinade and a wet smoker.
    I had about 60 pounds of striper fillet from back in the day when I had a ten fish day all over ten pounds after a trout plant at the west ramp, so I had to figure out what to do with all of it, gave away as much as i could. and smoked the rest.
    I used a marinade, apple juice soy sauce butter and other seasoning, soaked over night, and apple wood chips also soaked, my smoker is the Brinkman electric can type, temp gets up to around 200, and time in is around 1 hour to hour and a half depending on the size of the fish...
    this and smoke of all my smoked fish, tuna bellies, fillets come out very tasty, I vacuum pack and freeze for future snacks, the way I serve is any type of gourmet cracker and cream cheese and smoked fish... very tasty

The tuna sounds good!

I was following instructions provided by my "OLD Salt" friend. They turned out OK. I liked the stuff that I smoked longer, better. The texture of the stuff I smoked first (a shorter time) improved after if was in the fridge overnight.

Striper fat depends on the condition of the fish. Castaic striper are really fatty, my hands wind up greasy from cleaning them. Pyramid striper are usually lean but lately they have been getting a little heavier.
    Yeah, when the shad and trout populations are thick the LMB and stripers make more fat than muscle. This is often why summer stripers are much thicker than their lean winter state, because the bait is plentiful and the water temperatures allow their metabolism to feed constantly.

Tuna bellies are great. I don't like a lot of seasoning or marinade on my smoked fish, lots of salt guys marinade it in sweet stuff. I like a good teriyaki brine for tuna. For trout and other lean fish, its almost always just a little Lawyrs and some pepper, and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDDave View Post
    I don't no how to do the multiple copy and paste, but first I'd say good job on finding a new way in eating all the striper you catch... I love to smoke.. fish...
    there's many ways to prepare and also to smoke, dry and wet, brine and marinades with striper and with tuna, I prefer a marinade and a wet smoker.
    I had about 60 pounds of striper fillet from back in the day when I had a ten fish day all over ten pounds after a trout plant at the west ramp, so I had to figure out what to do with all of it, gave away as much as i could. and smoked the rest.
    I used a marinade, apple juice soy sauce butter and other seasoning, soaked over night, and apple wood chips also soaked, my smoker is the Brinkman electric can type, temp gets up to around 200, and time in is around 1 hour to hour and a half depending on the size of the fish...
    this and smoke of all my smoked fish, tuna bellies, fillets come out very tasty, I vacuum pack and freeze for future snacks, the way I serve is any type of gourmet cracker and cream cheese and smoked fish... very tasty
    60 lb after cleaning is pretty is a plenty. I'm glad that I didn't have to clean all of those.

How much of the smoked striper do you have left?

My neighbor has been smoking me some of my duct stripers and they are darn good. I don't know his recipe but he did mention brown sugar and I want to say orange juice??? Did a duct kitty I gave to him and gave me a taste and it was really good too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12