Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMOKING!!! Striper

Default SMOKING!!! Striper

This is a report of my first use of the Little Chief Electric Smoker that I got for my birthday.

I think it belongs in the recipe section.

My brine was made well ahead of time from 1 gallon of water, 1 1/2 cups of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar and 3/4 cup of sea salt. I stirred it over and over until everything was dissolved.

The Fillets and in this case 2 whole cleaned striper were submerged in the brine.

The brine with the fish was left overnight in the refrigerator.

In the morning the Smoker was prepared, the Alder chips were soaked in water for about 30 minutes to keep them from burning to quickly.

The fillets were dried on both sides with an old towel.

Then placed on the racks and allowed to dry until a glaze formed on the outside of them.

I sorted the fillets for size so that I could move the racks around to control how much the different sized fillets were smoked.

The racks were placed in the smoker "outside". I started with the bigger fillets at the bottom.

Here it's starting to smoke. It's hard to see though.

The wind was blowing and keeping the smoker too cool to suit me, so I shielded it with this handy weather resistant enclosure.

It even has a lid. It's raining now.

This picture was taken about 45 minutes before I took 3 racks out. For these thin fillets I did 4 1/2 hours total smoking time.

I decided to take a break from my hours of hard labor to refresh myself.

It's good! I like it! My fears were allayed.

This batch is smoking now along with one tray of the larger fish from the last batch. I'm experimenting with how dry I want it.

I'm planning to smoke the whole fish for 8 hours.

This is the first batch ready to go into the refrigerator.

I don't generally care about cooking but I had a good time SMOKING!!! Striper.
    Last edited by fishinone; 02-19-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Looks like you have the smoking down
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    this is a report of my first use of the little chief electric smoker that i got for my birthday.

I think it belongs in the recipe section.

my brine was made well ahead of time from 1 gallon of water, 1 1/2 cups of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar and 3/4 cup of sea salt. I stirred it over and over until everything was dissolved.

the fillets and in this case 2 whole cleaned striper were submerged in the brine.

the brine with the fish was left overnight in the refrigerator.

in the morning the smoker was prepared, the alder chips were soaked in water for about 30 minutes to keep them from burning to quickly.

The fillets were dried on both sides with an old towel.

then placed on the racks and allowed to dry until a glaze formed on the outside of them.

i sorted the fillets for size so that i could move the racks around to control how much the different sized fillets were smoked.

the racks were placed in the smoker "outside". I started with the bigger fillets at the bottom.

here it's starting to smoke. It's hard to see though.

the wind was blowing and keeping the smoker too cool to suit me, so i shielded it with this handy weather resistant enclosure.

it even has a lid. It's raining now.

this picture was taken about 45 minutes before i took 3 racks out. For these thin fillets i did 4 1/2 hours total smoking time.

i decided to take a break from my hours of hard labor to refresh myself.

it's good! I like it! My fears were allayed.

this batch is smoking now along with one tray of the larger fish from the last batch. I'm experimenting with how dry i want it.

I'm planning to smoke the whole fish for 8 hours.

this is the first batch ready to go into the refrigerator.

I don't generally care about cooking but i had a good time smoking!!! Striper.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I Always wonderd if those smokers work,d,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Keep up the work bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,Il be having me one of those smokers soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope you,l let me COPY down all your homework

TRAIL BLAZER
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown View Post
    Looks like you have the smoking down
    This is the first time that I ever did it. A freind of mine has been coaching me and the smoker came with instructions. I didn't find stuff like wetting the chips in the instructions. I'm glad that I had help.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I Always wonderd if those smokers work,d,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Keep up the work bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,Il be having me one of those smokers soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope you,l let me COPY down all your homework

TRAIL BLAZER
    Sure no problem but on the test your on your own! I don't want to get detention, again. lol

I tried to put the notes in here.

For your brine try adding one cup of teriyaki and a half can of frozen orange juce not mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterGuppy View Post
    For your brine try adding one cup of teriyaki and a half can of frozen orange juce not mixed.
    Thanks, I'll try it but first I need to catch some more fish.

Looks good Ron.

I've tried smoking striper one time and put too much smoke in and wrecked the filets.

Gonna try it again. I did smoke tuna last summer and it was EXCELLENT. Just ask TB.

All I did was cover in salt and pepper, I mean load it with salt and pepper. Smoked for 2 hrs at 260 and was outstanding. Big ole 5 lb filets at a time

I have the egg smoker, I've heard bad things about those electrics and energy bills at months end. Running for up to 12 hrs draws lots of KW's

Seems like the box is working for now, but did you know they have this. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...4780|104582880

Looking at the pictures it looks like that's a dry smoker. Does it come with a water pan to keep things moist if you want to smoke things longer without drying them out?

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Looks good Ron.

I've tried smoking striper one time and put too much smoke in and wrecked the filets.

Gonna try it again. I did smoke tuna last summer and it was EXCELLENT. Just ask TB.

All I did was cover in salt and pepper, I mean load it with salt and pepper. Smoked for 2 hrs at 260 and was outstanding. Big ole 5 lb filets at a time

I have the egg smoker, I've heard bad things about those electrics and energy bills at months end. Running for up to 12 hrs draws lots of KW's
    The smoked tuna sounds good!

The elictric shoudn't be too much. 750W should be like running 2 TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    Seems like the box is working for now, but did you know they have this. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...4780|104582880

Looking at the pictures it looks like that's a dry smoker. Does it come with a water pan to keep things moist if you want to smoke things longer without drying them out?
    I know about the blankets. This is the first time I've used it. The box worked well though. It's sitting out in the back yard, it looks dry.

There's no pan included for water but there is plenty of room to put some bowls of water in around the element.

I took some more pictures of the finished product.

Here's today"s lunch. This is the last batch of fillets. When I took them out of the smoker last night I thought that i had burned them but I through them in the refrigerator anyway. Today I got them out and decided to try them, the meat is leathery but I really like it.

Here are the whole smoked fish. Aren't they lovely?
    Last edited by fishinone; 02-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Best way to smoke striper is to get big papers..Ur smoker is like mine, ur doing the right thing so far. U can put any leftovers in a Vac. Bag and store em in ur freezer for a long time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast