Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 327 Alligator Gar Caught in Mississippi !!!

Default 327 Alligator Gar Caught in Mississippi !!!

Check out "THIS MONSTER!!!" They had to get him in with nets!
    327-pound fish caught in Mississippi. Cindy

Please click on the link below to view on UPI.com
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/02/...8921298021400/

That's a freaking monster! I've seen some at Sea world and they are nasty looking fish. Looks like something off of River Monsters.

Wow! What a beast. I can't even imagine bringing in one of those.

Totally Cool.
    DR

You have to understand also that you have to either shoot this thing in the head or beat him in the head to knock him out or kill him. The only way to kill him is in the head. The Garfish is just like an alligator, with a hard shell body,just like a gator and also has teeth like a gator. You have to be very careful catching this fish. I have caught one before, I'm from Louisiana. My Cousin who still lives there just recently caught a 70lb. Garfish, he sent me the pic and that thing is as tall as him and he is 6 feet tall and the fish is HUGE! The only way to clean this fish being that big, he took his to a Butcher to cut open. The one I caught was only about 5lbs. I had to cut him open with a butcher's knife and a hammer! Hard work. Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo21 View Post
    You have to understand also that you have to either shoot this thing in the head or beat him in the head to knock him out or kill him. The only way to kill him is in the head. The Garfish is just like an alligator, with a hard shell body,just like a gator and also has teeth like a gator. You have to be very careful catching this fish. I have caught one before, I'm from Louisiana. My Cousin who still lives there just recently caught a 70lb. Garfish, he sent me the pic and that thing is as tall as him and he is 6 feet tall and the fish is HUGE! The only way to clean this fish being that big, he took his to a Butcher to cut open. The one I caught was only about 5lbs. I had to cut him open with a butcher's knife and a hammer! Hard work. Cindy
    holy crap... way too much effort needed. well.. was it worth the effort? I heard alligator gar make fair eating. dang. A hammer and a butcher knife..

The meat is delicious!Cindy

Dang that one would make the two my uncle and I caught last year look like a baby.

I'm from Memphis, TN. I remember a story in the Sunday magazine supplement about fishing for gar on the White River in Arkansas. They carry a .45 cal automatic to shoot the gar in the head so they can get them into the boat without getting themselves chewed up.

Your title threw me off. At first I was like Whoa! 327 Gars! Cool stuff thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast