Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: optimum spinning rod for plastic trout worms

I really like the action of my Mirage. Feels much more like a one piece rod with how they have the break in the rod configured. Talk about bendo action!

I also have an Elixer that I would rate as the best for dropshotting/splitshotting due to it's slightly stiffer nature.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I was very disappointed with my Phenix Mirage bought late last year. I have about 10 GLooms but there was nothing available over 7 foot. So I bought a 7'6' Mirage ... which I was told is better than the older version Elixir. Come to find out that the Phenix is only longer because it has a longer butt ... which gets in the way of using compared to my 7 foot GL. FWIW ... I think Phenix is misrepresenting their product. I also wonder why so many are up for sale on this board.

I'll probably put it up for sale as soon as I find a good custom rod maker.
    try bob barr.. he makes some great rods for a good price too....

Thank you for bob barr info. I see him tomorrow morning to order an elixir.have a good one,later.

I think I'll lookin into a custom ... that was where I was headed originally. But not a Phenix. Probably something like a GLoom or Sage blank?

I think it's better to use someone else's rod first (if you have that option) before buying. I have owned everything Phenix makes as far as trout go and I don't like any of their new offerings. I have wrapped a few Mirage blanks and about 10 Elixer blanks and the Elixer is by far the best trout stick that Phenix makes. If you are looking for something a bit softer then the 7 or 7'6" Elixer I would say get the 8' Elixer. As far as the Iron Feather goes well for that amount of money I can wrap you a rod that blows that away. It's a $400.00 stick that isn't even spined. When you cast and the rod isn't spined (especially with something as light as 1/32 or 1/64ths) your tip does not want to load up north and south but instead whichever way the spine is making it really difficult to get a good cast with something so light. For $400.00 it should be spined period. Phenix is not the only one that doesn't spine expensive rods, G-Loomis also sells expensive rods that aren't spined. I believe if you are going to spend over $200.00 for a rod it should be spined bottom line. Another thing that happens with rods that aren't spined is that when you get on a bigger fish the rod naturally tries to twist to the spine which can cause you to loose fish from breaking the line. This is especially important with big tuna rods but has happened to me as well with a couple of trout sticks in the past when I was on bigger fish. You don't always get what you pay for, a lot of times you're just paying for the name.

If you don't quite understand what I'm talking about with the whole spine deal here is a youtube clip of finding the spine on a rod blank. To me spining rods is one of the most crucial aspects in wrapping a rod.

yeah..i noticed that about loomis also.....also Kencor wasnt spining their rods either....

GD

Go Gary Dobyns or go home...

Best Rods for the price out there!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12