Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optimum spinning rod for plastic trout worms

Default optimum spinning rod for plastic trout worms

I have a stradic c14 with 2lb. Izor and was wondering what length rod would do the best job when using trout worms and minijigs,also is a flourocarbon leader needed when using 2lb. Izor? Any input would be greatly appreciated as this type of fishing is brand new to me. Thanks
    Last edited by 40yr.BATCHMAN; 03-02-2011 at 12:05 PM.

i like 7' to 7'6"....purchase the highest end rod that you can afford..the phenix mirage and elixer are great...

I like my St. croix 7 foot ml 4-10.G loomis is more expensive and I think you can get away with a 6-12 rated one because they have better tips.No leader for me just straight 2lb mono works great. Izor is good but I use Maxima as it is sold locally where Izor is not P line is a far but 3rd choice.

Unless youre throwing that trout worm on a 32nd or 64th jig head its a little different than the rods used for micro jigging. Especially if you are going to be drop shotting. The Elixir and the Iron Feather are sweet for swimming a micro jig. They were made so you have superb control with minute twiching while swimming a jig, along with extreme sensitivity for those super light taps and even short bites, but to be honest that is a bit overkill if you are dragging a drop shot weight, or even any size larger than a bb split shot.

Thanks for your input,i bought a mirage m771-1. This rod should be a ton of fun to fish with especially the small plastics.i can't wait to feel this rod with a load on it. Thanks again

for trout worms any lighter drop shot rod is perfect for dropshotting ,and carolina rig for trout worms.i would also suggest a longer noodle 8ft to 8.5 ft 2lb to 6lb.using floats 6ft to 8ft.tag ,with a light jig head,mini dropshot,or lightcarolina rigs below the float.the float will move with the chop, and wind,and drift ,and shake your worms slowly.you will catch trout,redears,bluegills,crappie,and bass......good luck.....mike the pmb....

Good Choice...I have that same rod and like it alot.I wouldn't use a leader , just run straight 2lb. and it should be fine.Good luck and have fun breaking in your new rod...

I was very disappointed with my Phenix Mirage bought late last year. I have about 10 GLooms but there was nothing available over 7 foot. So I bought a 7'6' Mirage ... which I was told is better than the older version Elixir. Come to find out that the Phenix is only longer because it has a longer butt ... which gets in the way of using compared to my 7 foot GL. FWIW ... I think Phenix is misrepresenting their product. I also wonder why so many are up for sale on this board.

I'll probably put it up for sale as soon as I find a good custom rod maker.

If your used to fishing fast light graphite rods the Elixir may have been a better choice. I just picked up a 7'6" Elixir and really like it. Super sensative perfect float tube rod. It matches well with a stella or CI4 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I was very disappointed with my Phenix Mirage bought late last year. I have about 10 GLooms but there was nothing available over 7 foot. So I bought a 7'6' Mirage ... which I was told is better than the older version Elixir. Come to find out that the Phenix is only longer because it has a longer butt ... which gets in the way of using compared to my 7 foot GL. FWIW ... I think Phenix is misrepresenting their product. I also wonder why so many are up for sale on this board.

I'll probably put it up for sale as soon as I find a good custom rod maker.
    Three of my Phenix rods broke before I had the chance to sell them, one of them on the first fish. My last rod is a 5'6" Elixer that is a fish-killing machine, although it takes a long time to do it. Maybe it was just an early-era issue that was fixed? I hope so. One of the nicest-feeling sticks I have yet to pull on was GLoomis, can't recall the model. When it comes time for a new FW rod, that's where I will go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast