Hello everybody!

Just wanted to let everybody out there who loves Cats, BIG Flats...that the Imperial Valley has some huge Flatheads. Ok, where to start...Alamo River as many of you know is probably the murkiest body of water in the Imperial Valley, however, it holds some of the Biggest that I've ever seen....I love talking to fishermen of ALL ages...I've gotten a lot of great tips from so many of them...so a few years back I met an older gentleman who has his pictures at a local hardware store with his big Flatheads...well it turns out that he catches them all the time. After talking to him for about 20 minutes he showed me some more pics....All these flatheads had to be at least 20 pouds...but he's taken out some that were 40 pounders, 30s. He wasn't shy about his techniques and told me he uses small tilapia from some canal I can't remember-for bait. The tilapia were probably around 4-5 inches. Anyhow, as time went on, I heard more and more about the Alamo's Big Cats.

Now, I'm not a big Catfisherman, but this was some impressive stuff.

I do have to warn everybody to not eat anything that comes from the Alamo and New Rivers in the Imperial Valley..Salton Sea is fine despite all the false info you read and hear about the Great Salton Sea.

This past summer, I was fishing with some out-of-towners who were looking for big cats around the canals...well they were hooked and adament about fishing the Canals because of their recent trips to small canals not far from where I live(northern Imperial Valley) and taking our some 20 pound Flatheads...so I went with them one of those times. We fished a narrow cement-lined canal. One of the guys dropped his 2 worm-set hook into the water right under him and into a dark spot under a bridge...time passed and he had his bite and the fight was on....He was hooked!!!(the fish)

It took him about 10 minutes to land him more or less....good thing I had my landing net or else who could have slipped in. It turned out to be a 20 pounder. WOW, I was amazed!

Well, that's one of my stories...if any of you are ever around the IV, give the canals I try...even for bass, and anything else...except trout....It's a lot of fun!