Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More 14-20 pound lunkers coming next week

That is an old thread..nothing "shady" fished today and monday..plenty to be caught...

Since that stocking took place on 2/16, there have been 14-4, 14-2, 13-8, 13-10, and 11-6 weighed in.
    The previous months big fish stocking took place on 1/12, and the big fish only showed moderately until almost a month later, when during the week on 2/9 there were 15-0, 14-4, 13-6, 12-0, 11-6, 11-4, 10-12, and 10-12 weighed.
    Even the 20-4 wasn't caught for 11 days after that Jan. stocking.
    With the steelhead, it boils down to a lack of fish being properly ID'd; please refer to the posters at the lake, and report them.

Thanks for the info so I guess yes they were stocked I take it.

Steve,
    Any info on next "big fish" stocking now that we are in March??
    Also, current lake temp??

Temp was 55.7 yesterday in the morning warming up to 57 when I left at 1600

When I was a kid, this same story went on. When i got back into fishing last year and purchased a book on fishing california by Chris Shaeffer, even he and unbiased third party hardcore fisherman and journalist questioned it. So it should be no surprise to anyone, that these stockings are embellished. As for Steve Carson, he is up north, and he can only go by what he is told. Unless of course he travels down just to see the stocking and verify the numbers, and I doubt that.

The bottom line. They do stock fish, but how much, how often, and what quality, will always be the subject of controversy. So its something we as consumers can do something about. If we don't like it, we spend our fishing dollar somewhere else, if we aren't so concerend about it continue to spend your fishing dollar at the lake. The bottom line is this. We as fisherman cast our vote with our dollar.

Irivne Lake is a good place if you want more than just fishing. It really does have a lot to offer the family. But If you go there to fish, just remember this "Caveat emptor", thats latin for Buyer beware.

In the meantime, good fishing karma to everyone of my fellow addicted fishing brethren. Keep putting the wood to the fish no matter where you fish.

And when spring hits and the fish come up and the water is clear and everybody is slaying them this whole subject will be forgotten till next year when rain comes in dirty's the water, winds a blow'n and the fish are deep and not as active, then it will be back to "Hey they aren't stocking what they say they are stocking!".

JohnnyBoy,
    RE: Chris Shaffer's book; he wrote the Irvine Lake outline after visiting the lake back in 1998-99, and has not visited since, despite numerous invitations.
    Note the $12 Gate Charge he mentions to get a feel for how long ago that was!
    Getting stocked fish to bite is an inexact science at best; recall a few years back when the trout went wide-open in mid-July, nearly 3 months after the final stocking of the season.
    We try to share the info as best we can, without necessarily encouraging people to try to be "truck followers".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Carson View Post
    JohnnyBoy,
    RE: Chris Shaffer's book; he wrote the Irvine Lake outline after visiting the lake back in 1998-99, and has not visited since, despite numerous invitations.
    Note the $12 Gate Charge he mentions to get a feel for how long ago that was!
    Getting stocked fish to bite is an inexact science at best; recall a few years back when the trout went wide-open in mid-July, nearly 3 months after the final stocking of the season.
    We try to share the info as best we can, without necessarily encouraging people to try to be "truck followers".
    Is it true that you're in northern California?

All i am gonna say is i have not seen ANY lake stock the beautys that Irvine Lake has stocked this trout season. Consistent 3-5lb Hard fighting trout all season. It simply does not get any better then this in my eyes.

I think its clear that the Lake is trying to spread the trout out more rather then just have a bunch of 10lbers caught at the ramp. I personally have been entering EVERY tournament because of this!

This is by far the best i have seen Irvine in over 25 years of fishing the lake.

As far as some big steelies i know they are there just not always reported

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast