Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing With Night Crawlers

By the way, for most of SoCal lakes, you don't have to make long casts. A lot of the stocked trout with be swimming along the shorelines, way closer than people realize.

good advice
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    By the way, for most of SoCal lakes, you don't have to make long casts. A lot of the stocked trout with be swimming along the shorelines, way closer than people realize.

Illegal! You must wait until SB 41 is in effect!

Last year, legislation was passed and allowed people without a prescription in most counties to possess up to 10 syringes without a prescription. The sunset on this bill was on the last day of 2010.

Now, it's illegal to own syringes without a prescription again. be VERY careful.

I'm showing you what works (very well) for me. You do not have to use a syringe, sounds like you should not. There are commercial worm blowers available that work just fine for worms large enough for the needle on the blower. If that's the course you take, simply substitute the word "blower" for "syringe."
    As for the hooks you choose, use whatever works for you. I keep reading comments about not catching fish and when the author describes what he is using we find that the hooks and line are huge, often to match the sinker being thrown. Regularly catching fish in the high-pressured local lakes takes some refinement.
    Again, my post shows what works for me and is offered only as that.

Do not be afraid to just experiment with methods - there are no rules you have to follow. Often I am lazy and if I have a small treble hook rigged up I will use that with a crawler instead of re-rigging a baitholder hook. I stick two of the tines thru one end of the crawler, letting the long end hang loose. On the third tine you can attach a power egg, marshmallow, or smash some powerbait on if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Do not be afraid to just experiment with methods - there are no rules you have to follow. Often I am lazy and if I have a small treble hook rigged up I will use that with a crawler instead of re-rigging a baitholder hook. I stick two of the tines thru one end of the crawler, letting the long end hang loose. On the third tine you can attach a power egg, marshmallow, or smash some powerbait on if you want.
    Exactly! A lot of the fun of fishing is experimenting and finding new ways that work (and that don't work.) You will never know what works for you if you don't try. Me? I always seem to buy broken mini jigs because I can't catch a fish on one to save my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Exactly! A lot of the fun of fishing is experimenting and finding new ways that work (and that don't work.) You will never know what works for you if you don't try. Me? I always seem to buy broken mini jigs because I can't catch a fish on one to save my life!
    X2. Mini jig fishing takes so much patience. Once ya learn it, it becomes a new learned skill. I know quite a few people who throw them and catch fish. I'd rather toss a nighcrawler out than keep on casting those things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12