Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: needlefish lures, spoons, super dupers trout lures

Default needlefish lures, spoons, super dupers trout lures

how do you guys rig these up? fishing will be done from shore. a lot of them seems to light to even cast out without a weight of some kind.

I would like to know also, seems like all the crank and soft baits I buy are too light to cast far from shore.
    Last edited by bubbaku$h; 01-25-2011 at 10:06 PM.

well for light weight tackle you need a light weight set up. a 7 foot rod with a light - ultralight action and a nice ultralight spinning reel and you will be surprised how far you can cast smaller lures

Spoons and Super Dupers would be the easiest to cast, as long as you're using around 6 lb. test line on a spinning reel. Lighter line will obviously allow a longer cast. Needlefish are pretty light and require some additional weight. Using a split shot about 18" above the lure works pretty well, or switch to 2 lb. line.

Hi thisgsx,

If I ever fish a lure, any, I just tie directly to the lure. You can use a snap swivel if you decide to troll, preventing the nasty line twist!

I prefer using 4-pound test for lures whether your fishing from shore or the back of the boat.

Good Luck!

I used to have the same issues with the light weight needlefish, and spoons. I was at lake Isabella last year and found the answer. You take one of the clear bubbles/bobber; the ones you can fill with water. Fill all the way with water so it sinks; rig it carolina style; give youself about a 3-4 foot leader of your 4lb. test, and tie on your needlefish or spoon or fly. Now you can bomb it out there; the bubble will sink a few feet, and reel in as normal. This has definately increased my catch ratio from shore since i started rigging light lures this way.

Good Fishing.......

When casting tiny spoons and jigs, power-casting will just make the lure land ten feet in front of you, making you the laughing stock of the lake.

Here's a tip: It's all in the wrist, not the shoulder!

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Here's a tip: It's all in the wrist, not the shoulder!
    Right On !

Thanks for all the help guys! Bigkat, I'll have to give that a try.

Smokehound, you're so right about that.