Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about starting out.

If you're looking for the basics, this is a good site: http://www.womenfishing.com/index.html. Because it's aimed at women with little or no fishing background, it does a good job of covering the basics. They also have a lot of books, videos, and gear available. Be careful buying from them, some of the items are designed to fit women and, well, you probably don't want to be out on the lake swinging around a pink rod with a pink reel and line.

Quote Originally Posted by laserbrn View Post
    So I've been fishing a few times and I rather enjoy it. The problem is that I didn't grow up around fishing and I have no idea where to start. Let's just say I can't tie a knot, that's about where I'm at right now.

I purchased a boat and I've taken it out to Castaic a couple of times basically to test things and make sure everything is working okay. It's a 14 aluminum skiff so I'm not looking to take over the world on the thing, but I'd like to be able to enjoy my afternoon's fishing. I also bought the annual pass for the boat and the truck @ Castaic so I'm down to spend as much time as possible learning and enjoying this new sport.

My problem is that the internet seems like it has TOO much information and I can't find a good "getting started" type of guide to get me off in the right direction. My biggest fear is fumbling around for years and years when I couldv'e invested in some quality training/instruction or found a great set of resources to use such as books or other reading material.

So my questions....What books/reading material is available on getting started with fishing?

And...Would a guide service be a worthwhile investment for a super-noob? I really have no idea what I'm doing and when I launch this boat, I just see lots of water. No clue where to start.

BTW- If any of you experienced anglers out there have tons of fishing knowledge, but no boat, feel free to hit me up and I'd be much obliged just to take you out, hit some spots and soak up as much knowledge as possible.
    Read this book for some great information

http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Giant-.../dp/0963312006

this book up'ed my fishing 100 fold.

your best bet would be do some shore fishing on the lagoon. You will eventually run into one of us regulars and i'm always down to show a new blood some fishing tips. But to get my fishing wisdom you gotta fish with me now and also you have to here my speech on catch and release and why it is important for LMB fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lopez View Post
    your best bet would be do some shore fishing on the lagoon. You will eventually run into one of us regulars and i'm always down to show a new blood some fishing tips. But to get my fishing wisdom you gotta fish with me now and also you have to here my speech on catch and release and why it is important for LMB fishing.
    U shouldn't send him to the goon now with an almost non existent bite, he need's motivation and at least some fair activity for inspiration....

I know if he were to tackle the tougher times of year it's all downhill afterwards but for a beginner catching SOMETHING is key to keep spirits up....

Just my 2 thoughts.....

From a boat trolling pyramid right now would be best...smaller grade fish but at least solid potential.

Lagoon will be better in a few months..

My 2 cents..
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    U shouldn't send him to the goon now with an almost non existent bite, he need's motivation and at least some fair activity for inspiration....

I know if he were to tackle the tougher times of year it's all downhill afterwards but for a beginner catching SOMETHING is key to keep spirits up....

Just my 2 thoughts.....

From a boat trolling pyramid right now would be best...smaller grade fish but at least solid potential.

Lagoon will be better in a few months..

My 2 cents..
    Gary
    not saying now as in this very minute lol. Fishing on the lagoon wont pick up till mid febuary. But i'm still able to pull one of two bass a trip right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lopez View Post

As long as catch and release going ........... I am with you.

Well, it hasn't gone well thus far, but all of your comments and the recent activity on here has kept my spirits up. I'm still working out kinks with the boat as I don't know what I'm doing or what I need. I upped the motor from an 8hp to a 15hp because Castaic is kind of big. I now need a couple of long anchors as it's been breezy/windy and the fish are deep.

I'm just hoping I have all the silly junk out of the way when the bite comes to life. I'll keep trying hopefully when the bite picks up it'll pay off.

if you are going for LMB stick to the lagoon right now. You'll be hard pressed to find them in the upper lake right now seeing as they are possibly holding on steep drop offs or hunkered down in the deep water. The lagoon is a much smaller body of water and it will be a much easier task to dial in on the deep water bass. But carry a needle with you to depress their air bladders since you will be catching most bass in 25+ feet of water

Start on striper or catfish, move to trout THEN go for LMB.

-Both Striper & Catfish are easy, fun to catch and are a good tasting reward when you get them and with both species, when they bite it's just game on!

-Trout are a little trickier, really do teach you how to judge what size, collar and kind of lure to use (if your not bait and waiting). They are less picky than bass but more than the previous two but at times will test your patience especially if you want a BIG one. BTW I'm talking bout natural trout, not these troutzillas they stock at "pay lakes".

-Large Mouth are very tricky, will test your fishing knowledge and always will test your patience. I mean why else do they judge who the best fisherman is every year off of LMB and not other species.

The best is to become diverse and then when you go for fish outside of the four I listed, it'll just come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by laserbrn View Post
    I'm going to start by focusing on Stripers. That's the only area I've had any reasonable success so I'd like to get good at that. So far the only thing I've tried is cut bait and worms on what I guess would be a carolina rig. Sliding sinker-swivel-leader-hook type of set.
    I bought my own boat 4 years ago, and decided i wasn't foing to pay for a guide when i had my own boat. that i would learn from time on the lake. well i dont get much time on the lake so i dont learn that much. I have had some great days on the water, but not consistantly, and with verbal help from gary and bob, i have done better. but this year I am going to have to scrape together the cash and advance my fishing skills 4 fold by hiring bob. and i would like to give you the same advice, and you will have an epic year for stripers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12