Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about starting out.

Default Question about starting out.

So I've been fishing a few times and I rather enjoy it. The problem is that I didn't grow up around fishing and I have no idea where to start. Let's just say I can't tie a knot, that's about where I'm at right now.

I purchased a boat and I've taken it out to Castaic a couple of times basically to test things and make sure everything is working okay. It's a 14 aluminum skiff so I'm not looking to take over the world on the thing, but I'd like to be able to enjoy my afternoon's fishing. I also bought the annual pass for the boat and the truck @ Castaic so I'm down to spend as much time as possible learning and enjoying this new sport.

My problem is that the internet seems like it has TOO much information and I can't find a good "getting started" type of guide to get me off in the right direction. My biggest fear is fumbling around for years and years when I couldv'e invested in some quality training/instruction or found a great set of resources to use such as books or other reading material.

So my questions....What books/reading material is available on getting started with fishing?

And...Would a guide service be a worthwhile investment for a super-noob? I really have no idea what I'm doing and when I launch this boat, I just see lots of water. No clue where to start.

BTW- If any of you experienced anglers out there have tons of fishing knowledge, but no boat, feel free to hit me up and I'd be much obliged just to take you out, hit some spots and soak up as much knowledge as possible.

I am relatively new to fishing also. I have had plenty of days when catching was a big challenge. The best experience I've had was going out with Pete Marino to DVL. He taught my son and I alot and we are still using his pointers to get on fish. Guides are well worth the money and no one can be too new not to have a good time.

I'd recomend a guide trip with Trout only for lesson's in trolling for stripers...if that's what you seek.

I'll see about making some time to make you a laundry list of stuff to buy that would help you to start off with.

There's internet instructions on knot tying (now animated to show you how).

I'd reccomend the improved clinch knot and secondly the palomar knot (I prefer clinch knot most times).

Keep you eyes peeled for a list I'll write up for you...welcome to the world of fishing and good luck.

Hey how's it going?

Heres a couple site that I had bookmarked on knot tying...

http://www.lake-link.com/anglers/knots/

And here is an animated one.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar...matedknots.com

Also, if it is Striper you seek up at Castaic, take a guide trip with Troutonly like Gary said....It is WELL worth it as he has vast knowledge of the lake and trolling....

Hope to see ya on the water one of these days!!

Let's see how this doc transfers....I disperse it at my fishing clinics....

I don't think the photos will come through w/o putting them through photobucket though....let's try it...

Simple Basic fishing Rigs and Knots
    Compiled by Gary Wuebben 6/25/2009
    Friends of Castaic Lake Member

Bluegill: –use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
    Redear: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
    Crappie: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
    Trout: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
    Bass: - use #4 - #6 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).

Use this rig with misc. live baits (Nightcrawlers, Meal Worms, Red Worms, Wax Worms)

See Diagram Below.
    

Use this rig as well for all the fish and baits mentioned on previous page.
    This rig keeps the bait up off the bottom.

We call it a Surf Rig:

See Diagram Below.
    

Bobber rig:
    for
    Bluegill – Crappie – Redear –Trout (use all live baits mentioned above)
    See Diagram Below.
    

Floating bait rig for Trout: - use #14 - #18 treble hook with a sliding egg sinker.

12” to 18” leader

Use:
    Powerbait
    Nitro dough
    Floating power eggs (optional real salmon eggs but they wont float)

See Diagram Below.
    

The Palomar Knot

More Basic rig Diagrams:

Flyline rig; (nightcrawlers)
    Use this rig for Bass and other fish (cast very gently or the bait will “whip” off)

The picture below depicts hooking the nightcrawler only 1 time and with a regular shank hook, try that ! (cast gently)

BUT I suggest hooking the nightcrawler 2 times (as shown in step #1 & 2 above) and use a BAITHOLDER STYLE HOOK (again-cast gently)
    (see picture below for baitholder style hook)

NOTE: the 2 small barbs on the shank of the hook (those help keep the bait on the hook)

Hey send me a pm...

cool im glad to see some one takeing up fishing as a new hobbie.

the fastest easiest knot that is incredibly strong for how fast it is to tie is the Palomar knot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDKp0W6Y9U

another good and easy knot is the improved clinch knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHE6SRVT_E

ok now that you know how to tie a couple good knots you need to ask your self what kind of fish do i want to go after.

the type of fish you decide to target will determine your tackle. ie size and type of weights size and type of hooks and what lb line, and also your gear. such as rod size and style reel reel size and style. if your just starting out i wouldn't recommend anything to pricey but that is up to you and how much you feel comfortable spending on something you might decide is not for you as far as what kind of fish your after.

walmart has some decent so called bass spinning rod combos that are advertised to be good for tossing plastic worms and such. i have a few of these rods that i have long since upgraded the reel on but my most expensive set up is only $100 that is a very modest trout set up by many peoples standards but it gets the job done. any way back to the walmart combos i have used these poles with great success at almost all types of fish i have done Pan fishing, cat fishing, bait and wait for trout and trolling for trout. due to my lack of funds most of my purchases must be multi use items.

but any way i guess what my rambling is trying to get at is the best way for any one to help you is for you to be more specific about what you would like to catch so that we can tell you were your money would be best spent to have the proper gear and tackle to catch that type of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    I'd recomend a guide trip with Trout only for lesson's in trolling for stripers...if that's what you seek.

I'll see about making some time to make you a laundry list of stuff to buy that would help you to start off with.
    Thank you very much. A lot of good info here.

I want to fish for Stripers and LMB. I have attempted fishing a few times from shore, I've rented the rental boats at Castaic and I have a roommate who is pretty well versed with this stuff. He just seems to know so much it's overwhelming. I never know what the heck he is talking about. I feel like today I've learned a lot more than I have in a long time.

Thanks for the info and assuring me a guided trip would be beneficial and enjoyable. Hopefully I can get to that late Feb-March. Money isn't infinite and I'd like to get a little bigger motor for this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Heres a couple site that I had bookmarked on knot tying...

http://www.lake-link.com/anglers/knots/
    Thanks. I'm sitting at home practicing away. If I can cut down on the time I spend tying and rigging and spend more time with my line in the water I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post
    the fastest easiest knot that is incredibly strong for how fast it is to tie is the Palomar knot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDKp0W6Y9U

another good and easy knot is the improved clinch knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHE6SRVT_E

ok now that you know how to tie a couple good knots you need to ask your self what kind of fish do i want to go after.
    I do have a couple of spinning combo's from walmart or Sport Chalet or wherever I got them, but I primarily use my Shimano Crucial rod with a Shimano Sahara 2500FB Reel. All I have is this spinning gear at this point. I purchased the Shimano based upon feel and balance with the reel. I read reviews and 2-3 years ago when I purchased this stuff it was highly rated. I went fishing with it a couple of times and realized I really wanted to fish from a boat. I got annoyed shore fishing and feeling like it was hopeless and I put it down.

I figured I'll add fishing boat to my list of must-have's in life. This list is long and it keeps me busy on Craigslist. I search it everyday for a motorcycle for the girlfriend, a pool table (Brunswick Gold Crown 2-4 in case you know anybody) and for the past couple of years, a fishing boat. Well, I found this one and I am happy with what I paid for it, so now I'm ready to get down on some fishing again.

So the boat has a meter, portable Humminbird PiranhaMax10. I figure someday I'll need something better, but I already had this from attempting to use the rental boat a few times before realizing it really was cost prohibitive and inconvenient.

Thanks for all of your encouragement, I'm looking forward to really getting into this. I have a way with hobbies and if this is like the others I'll love it for the rest of my days and enjoy spending my free time studying it, mastering it and enjoying it's challenges. Do I sound a little excited? Haha. I was afraid fishing was going to the land of people keeping secrets and not sharing the love. Glad to see there's a forum with helpful people, makes this a lot less daunting.

ok so you want the striper and lmb well i have never fished for striped bass and i just started trying to teach my self to bass fish last summer so i am totally not the guy to help you with those.

some one mentioned doing a guided trip with art berry and trout only. that would be your best bet to learn alot and very quickly

I'm going to start by focusing on Stripers. That's the only area I've had any reasonable success so I'd like to get good at that. So far the only thing I've tried is cut bait and worms on what I guess would be a carolina rig. Sliding sinker-swivel-leader-hook type of set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast