Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ fish help!!!

Default BBQ fish help!!!

Having trouble with BBQing fish. I love the white meat fish that so many places serve here in so-cal with that perfect golden brown crust. I defrosted a Yellowtail fillet last night and threw it on the bbq. It cooked fine but gets stuck when I try to turn it over. Any tips that will help it from sticking to the grill?

FYI I keep my grill pretty clean but I don't spray any kind of oil or non stick stuff on the grill before I throw the fish on. I heat up the grill, give it one last scrub with the brush and throw the fish on.

Thx

Hard to keep fish from sticking to a grill!!!!!!!!!
    The coated grills (ceramic/porcelain??) works best IMHO..
    Metal is to porous of a surface...
    But you still have to have a clean well oiled or Sprayed surface. (and it still sticks a little)!!!

There must be a trick I dont know yet!!!!
    I have started to use Foil shaped like a tray to BBQ my fish, works better for me...

get one of those basket type things that you put the fish in,close the latch,and put the whole thing on top of your grill.you will still need to rub the cage with oil(olive oil works really well)to prevent sticking,but the whole piece of fish is taken from the grill,then you remove from the basket.these work really well.good luck

i grill my fish alot and have hardly any problems with stiking just make sure it is nice and clean then brush oilv oil directly on to the grill and very lightly on to th fish as well.

when i bbq fish i usually drizzle with olive oil and first. the main thing is when the fish has cooked enough on the one side it should be easy to flip over. if it sticks it usually is not ready to be flipped over. also, use a spatula upside down using a quick motion to loosen the fish so it can be flipped over.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post
    i grill my fish alot and have hardly any problems with stiking just make sure it is nice and clean then brush oilv oil directly on to the grill and very lightly on to th fish as well.
    X2.....why dont you just wrap them up in the alum foil...herbs and spices,just a squeeze of lime juice and cover let sit for about 10mins,,and ur good to go!!!!....im hungry now thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stepchild View Post
    X2.....why dont you just wrap them up in the alum foil...herbs and spices,just a squeeze of lime juice and cover let sit for about 10mins,,and ur good to go!!!!....im hungry now thanks
    Yes and maybe a little butter so it wont stick on the foil....Yummy.

you can also marinate in Italian dressing taste great and the oil helps it not stick.

Quote Originally Posted by stepchild View Post
    that is a great idea but you might as well just put it in the oven then cuz once you wrap it up ure cutting off all the benefits of using a grill.

Believe it or not....Years ago I was told to cut a potato in half length wise. Then rub it all over the entire grill when hot. It did not stick to the grill. It might only work for some fish though. I only did it with some sand bass. I guess it depends on the type of fish. Give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast