Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Registration without Paperwork?

Default Boat Registration without Paperwork?

Pretty simple... Friend got a boat from his neighbors uncles cousins nephew type of deal.

Boat is a 1980 14' fiberglass. It's been sitting in someones backyard for the last few years and needs a lot of work which is why it was given away. It has CF Numbers from the State of Utah on it but I can tell at one point, at least in the 80's, it was a CA boat.

What are the options with no paperwork on the thing? The connection to the actual owner is lost and nobody in the family can come up with any documents for it.

Thanks for any information you guys may have in advance.
    -Rick

Several years ago friends of mine bought a house on a large lot. There were several "junk" cars parked on the lot with no titles / expired registrations. They were able to get title to them by having them declaired abandoned. Not sure what the actual process was.

Default Some title help

this is similar to older CA motorcycles/cars ive had... dmv went computerized around 2000. have AAA CLUB or call dmw to run vin. they will only tell u if there is record or not or has owner. if it shows no record , congrats u are the new owner and u file application for title... put ur cheapest estimated value $50 and pay for cf application fee /taxx. . if shows owner its a longer process, esp if late back fees are applied $$$$. u will file a paperwork which goes to last address of owner , if no reponse , start paperwork above mentioned.... DMV may ask for vin verification which takes long by getting appt for CHP few months

FIRST get a bill of sale with verified signature (Dr Lic # or soc Sec # on it)...
    Then contact DMV and ask what is next...
    Some trailers have a number stamped in them (Near the tongue = VIN#) Boat should have a VIN# on a plate somewhere?? If not CHP may have to get involved and do a stamping/verification etc (public service thing) to Verify the trailer & boat for registration purposes...
    The Bill of sale is important to protect you (just in case its Stolen???)..
    DMV will give you step by step process............ Good luck...

go to your insurance guy and ask for a dmv bond.....i paid 100.00 bucks. its like a title to the boat..

Thanks for the leads guys. It helps...

I'm sure a bill of sale can be made but it will not be from the titled owner, it will be from the last one in possession. Will that be of any use?

I'll give AAA a call and see what the status with the boat is in California. Sure would be nice if it went as easily as Balleronbudget suggests is possible.

Not in the computer is a good thing.

1) You could tell them it is your boat and has never been registered (Because no motor). You bought it at a yard sale for $50 and it has never had CF #s
    It's a Rowboat right
    Just sitting in the backyard.

2) Have your buddy give you a bill of sale for $50
    He never registered it because it is a rowboat.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    I'm sure a bill of sale can be made but it will not be from the titled owner, it will be from the last one in possession. Will that be of any use?
    Yes

The less info you give, the better.

Example:
    DMV ' Does it have CF #s ' ?
    You ' What are CF #s ' ?
    DMV Blah Blah Blah
    No, no numbers. It is just a old $50 Rowboat
    Here is the Bill of sale (from your buddy)
    DR

Thanks DockRat... I'm keeping my fingers crossed on not being in the computer!! I have a friend checking the status so I will find out soon enough.

I like the rowboat story. Makes perfect sense.

**** Yeah!! Not in the system!!!!

I'll be fishin' sooner then I thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast