Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKUNK!!! Pew!!

Default SKUNK!!! Pew!!

I fished Castaic on Saturday. The guy who I was taking fishing bailed on me at 9:00am when I was 20 miles from home ready to pick him up.

After that the day sorta slowed down.

I picked up some awesome fresh sardines at Gallion"s. They had been alive that morning and I could tell by looking at them. No stink just smelled like sardines.

I worked the buoy line basin metering fish, anchoring up and getting no takers. The fish that I would see on the fish finder didn't even veer off to take a look at the baits.

After about 4 anchor sets I got on a spot holding lots of fish on the bottom with fish cruising through up higher most of the time.

So after all of that, I had one pickup about 40 ft deep, it moved the rod tip about 1 1/2" dropped the bait and didn't come back. Another time I saw a fish on the fishfinder about 20 ft up off of bottom, picked up a pole and slowly cranked my bait toward it. The fish dropped down to meet it then followed it up about 5 ft. As far as I could tell it never touched the bait. I was using superline and an IM-6 pole. I'm pretty sure that if it had picked it up I would have known.

My friends Mike and Tony were both there in their boats. They both manage to catch a few fish but had the same results as me.

I bet it was a beautiful day out on the Lake. That fish finder sounds awesome. Wonder if I could use one at the Duct?

It was beautiful. We had shirt sleeve weather for a couple hours.

My fishfinder is an old Garmin 240. I think any of them work well if you use them in manual mode and turn off the fish symbols.

I want to try one of those Hummingbird smartcasts in the duct. Try, not buy. lol

The weather has been nice for a couple of days in this winter. Fish are sleeping....haha..You will get them next time.

Bummer on the skunk Ron. What a total flake the other guy was unless he had a life or death emergency to bail only minutes before planned.

I thought you were going to come up to the duct Sunday afternoon? It was an "epic" day. Morning catch, mid day catch and if you would have come I would have gone out for an afternoon catch.

Cant win m all bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Makes the victorys even more sweeter.

TB
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by yolo View Post
    Bummer on the skunk Ron. What a total flake the other guy was unless he had a life or death emergency to bail only minutes before planned.

I thought you were going to come up to the duct Sunday afternoon? It was an "epic" day. Morning catch, mid day catch and if you would have come I would have gone out for an afternoon catch.
    He had a pretty good reason but he could have let me know 12 hours sooner.

I had forgotten that my buddy was getting married. 48 year old bachelor. I figured I might never see that again.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Cant win m all bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Makes the victorys even more sweeter.

TB
    I can try! LOL

I knew to take some other baits for insurance but just didn't do it. With them acting like they were, I don't believe it would have been a huge difference but sometimes they'll take nightcrawlers or bloodworms when they go off the dines.
    Last edited by fishinone; 01-17-2011 at 08:18 PM.

did you go to the fish arm ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    did you go to the fish arm ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,
    Hi T/O,

No I didn't go over there. I've heard that they've started biting over there.

I was about out of fuel so I didn't want to run around too much.

I'm planning to go to the Mid to fish your spots this Sat..

bummer Ron,
    Can't really stand the flaky category of people too well either.

well you'll get em next time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast