Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 01-13-2011 Fishing at DVL

Default 01-13-2011 Fishing at DVL

Went fishing again today at DVL. I left the house around 0630 AM. The tempature was 49 degrees. Believe it or not I was the 10th boat in line.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	27906

I guess alot of anglers are fishing at other lakes due to the tough conditions. As I got closer to the checkin in, I looked over to the lake and it looked promising.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	27907

I packed my snack and it was a bottle of water, a PB&J and a bannana. I got alot of attention for having a bannana on the boat but it was all good. I went over to one of my favorite spots and my Lowrance X125 showed plenty of action in 40-70 feet. I threw on my Huddelston and let it drop down in the zone but didnt even get a sniff of action. I switched baits and still nada. I was hoping for a LMB or Striper on my big baits but it did not happen today.

I went over to another spot and pulled out old trusty(Drop Shot). I was fishing in 50-60 ft. Man it was good. Let me tell you the secret. If you find the shad, you will find the bass. I caught several LMB. Nothing really big but the biggest was about 4 1/2 lbs. Several 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 lbers. I had alot of back to back to back catches I needled and released several fish right after catching them so they could survive. When you catch LMB in deep water you need to needle them. They come up really bloated. I palced a few in the livewell to snap a few pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111_0798.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	27914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111_0796.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	27913
    Hope you guys like reading the post as much as I liked catching the fish. All of the fish were released to fight another day. Until next time.......Tight Lines.......

hey great job on the bass in these tough conditions. glad they wer all released in a proper way and yes i did enjoy reading the post

That was a great report. Sounds like a fun day. Maybe that banana thing is just for salt water.

Funny you say that because a guy mentioned the same thing about the bannana this morning.

hahaha you can see my truck and trailer parked. i was probably hoppin down the ramp 100mph then

you must've got banana on that hudd and none on the drop shot--jk. nice work on the greens!

A fine day on the water, Fraze. I could use some schooling on "needling" fish that come up from depth like that.

Yeah Fly......maybe next time I will make a video of it. I had to learn myself. I just learned this technique a few years ago. The marina at DVL sells the needle for a fair price. The might even make you the extension part too which makes needling a whole lot easier. I saw some needles at Last Chance Bait and Tackle in Hemet as well but I dont know what they charge there.

I'm sure it's been posted many times. Would someone mind telling me where to put the needle in. I have a needle in the boat but I haven't had to use it. I'm not very good at catching fish in deep water.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I'm sure it's been posted many times. Would someone mind telling me where to put the needle in. I have a needle in the boat but I haven't had to use it. I'm not very good at catching fish in deep water.
    Thanks
    There are two ways to let the air out of the LMB bladder when you catch them in deep water. You can needle the fish (1) go in through the back of the throat or (2) from the side of the fish. When you catch a bass in deep water and reel them up the pressure changes in the water and inside the fish causing them to have an air pocket inside their bladder. If you tried to release a fish in this condition the fish would float and more than likely die. My next post I will make a video showing how to conduct needling properly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast