Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greedy Floater Bites the Dust

Someone posted a pic of a floater @ perris but it was a striper and it had a HUGE gill stuck in it.. striper had to of been 10 lbs anyone have or remember that pic??

When I lived in Irvine, in the woodbridge area, everyone who fished the lakes swore that small blue gill were the best bass bait. Sure enough one day I was down there and some kid had been using blue gill for bait and caught a monster LMB. Was a long time ago so no pics.

is fishing with live blue gill legal in CA lakes?

A long time ago, when Vail Lake was open to the public, there was a time we went there and saw about 5 dead Bass along the shore, all of them with Bluegills that were too large for them to swallow, stuck in their mouths, so this phenomenon is not as rare as you might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by a321eric View Post
    It didn't seem to matter at the one I saw them doing it at, it was a private residents only lake. Not sure why it would be illegal unless the species was non-indigenous and could be invasive. Back east we used to fish for Northern Pike with small carp (up to a foot long).

Quote Originally Posted by a321eric View Post
    it is illegal

Gillz are bass forage along with any other small species.

Reminds me of the time I found a huge cuda in the surf at HB with a fat surfperch stuck in its throat.

I was able to save him by carefully cutting pieces of the perch out. The Cuda was then able to close and open his jaw, and away he swam.

Made sure the perch wasnt removed completely. That guy deserved his meal

It's funny how much this happens. Like when you catch a bass with a lure twice as big as him!

Yikes! I have heard that the SAcramento perch population in Lake Crowley took care of the trophy brown trout population in much the same way. The pigs went to try and swallow a perch, got them stuck in their throats and died.

Last year I found a 4 or 5 lb lmb with a 3/4 crappie stuck in its mouth at irvine head first pulled the crappie out and realesed the bass but the crappie hit the fry pan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast