Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: A Newbie Introduction & A Question

Default A Newbie Introduction & A Question

Hey Guys & Girls... I found this site a few weeks ago and now I'm hooked. This site has a great collection of fishermen. A lot can be learned in these forums so I just had to join and take advantage.

Well, I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question or two in the process. My name is Genaro and I grew up fishing the lakes of the Western Sierras above Fresno, chasing Rainbows and the Native Browns in the area. We usually troll, dragging Needlfish or small Rapalas behind leadcore line.

I've been here in SoCal for over 10 yrs now but only fish locally once or twice a year. Last summer I bought an old boat and hit up the local lakes a few times. My kids and I had our first encounter with Stripey while soakin dines at Castaic. What really intrigues me is the thought of those DDs. I want to start going to Pyramid and Castaic so I can troll and cast at the boils like so many of you guys talk about.

So I'm thinking of going after Stripey with my Leadcore setup. I don't see why that wouldn't work but I'm not too sure what types of lures are the best for Striper. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Especially if I'm using the wrong tactic for some reason.

I'm planning on trying this at Pyramid within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by MustHuntAndFish; 01-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Hi Genaro, welcome to the forums! I can't be of any help with your question, but I'm sure someone can help you.

Also, have you done any searches for old threads?

brian

hey hows it going welcome.

spoons n big hammers.. think ocean

bman90278
    Hi Genaro, welcome to the forums! I can't be of any help with your question, but I'm sure someone can help you.

Also, have you done any searches for old threads?

brian
    Thanks bman..... I haven't looked at any threads older than the last couple weeks. Maybe I'll do some searches and see what kind of info I can come up with.

Sublime-Steve
    spoons n big hammers.. think ocean
    Well... Thats a start. Thanks Steve.

I'll keep gathering info so I can figure out what I need to add to my arsenal. I think that my biggest challenges are that I've never been on the Mid in a boat and that I don't have any electronics on my boat yet. But I'll make due. I can't learn the lake or put fish in the boat unless I get out there.

I can't wait!

Welcome to the board. I still use some old school rapala thin fin lures that I have but you can't get those anymore. Rumor has it that KPN lures are the bomb for Mr. Stripey so you might look in to those which are sold on this site I believe. Good luck!

first off welcome to the site,its a great lil family orientated site......and back to biz,u might want to check out some of t/o's threads about chasing mr jailbird fish....or just check out some other threads on the lakes you want to fish at.bunch of info...

Welcome,

I've done well using Kastmasters 1+ oz. on leadcore at Castaic.

We use umbrella rigs and do well too. Make sure you only set them up with 3 hooks though.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the input guys...

When I first posted this thread, it got lots of views but nobody replied. I figured, either I'm getting some kind of Rookie Hazing Treatment or my introduction was just too damn boring.

5150fishn
    Welcome to the board. I still use some old school rapala thin fin lures that I have but you can't get those anymore. Rumor has it that KPN lures are the bomb for Mr. Stripey so you might look in to those which are sold on this site I believe. Good luck!
    I was just looking at some of those ThinFin lures at J&T Tackle today. Didn't buy any though... just stuck with the Senkos that I went in there for. I've noticed the KPN love on this site... gonna have to check them out.

stepchild
    u might want to check out some of t/o's threads about chasing mr jailbird fish...
    I've checked out many of T/O's posts. Great info as far as what lakes are hot and what methods to use but he doesn't give up any info as far as what lures he's using. I don't blame him though. A guide can't give all his secrets up online... I wonder though, If I book a trip with him... do I get to see the lures then? Or do I have to fish Blind Folded?

fishinone
    Welcome,

I've done well using Kastmasters 1+ oz. on leadcore at Castaic.

We use umbrella rigs and do well too. Make sure you only set them up with 3 hooks though.
    I know by seeing some of your posts that I should gather any knowledge that you pass out FishinOne... I'll keep Kastmasters in mind. I've never used an umbrella rig before but I'll look into what it takes to rig one properly.

Thanks again guys!