Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Aqueduct Stripers Healthy to eat?

Default Are Aqueduct Stripers Healthy to eat?

I saw a reply to a post saying not to eat fish out of the aqueduct because of contaniments in the water and it started to make me wonder, could they be unhealthy to consume? I'm no duct expert, far from it, so the following is just my opinion.

I know there are alot of bodies of water that I would never consider eating fish out of for various reasons but I figured the water in the duct would be pretty clean due to the natural filtration of the water flowing along the cement walls. In my opinion the stripers in the duct seem to fight better than lake stripers, at least the few I've hooked. I tend to believe this is because they are constantly swiming in current. Wouldnt that mean they are healither?

I'm not attempting to "Stir the Pot" with this post so please dont take it that way, I'm just curious. Please post up your thoughts and opinions on this subject.

BassnMan Mike

Duct water is used for drinking water by metropolitan water districts customers. I Can't see how you could drink it but it not be healthy to eat fish out of it?

Metropolotin does treat and filter the water. Every body of water you will find contamination of fish poop and run off. Its just the nature of it.

The state does monitor the water quality and has specific paramaters for the water quality. 70% is used for "urban" use and only 30% for ag..

http://www.water.ca.gov/swp/
    Last edited by cutbait; 01-05-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Droid phone made my sentences unreadable

Mike, it's fine to eat. Driving to your favorite fishing hole is more dangerous than eating the fish.

The duct is most likely some of the cleanest enviroment you will be able to take fish out of....

If the fish are bad and water quality poor......then I should be growing a third knee by now...

Ohh wait.... I do have one growing....Uhhh-oh !

This duct supplies fresh water to many regions of southern calif. I'm sure there are certain amount of additives to purify at the point when it makes transistion to pipes to feed the communities but pretty damn clean when it comes to water if you were to compare to say Long beach harbor....Puddingstone lake....etc.(just examples)

Im sure they are, you can eat just about anything...

Clean healthy water for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Stripers do pull harder in the duct for sure!,,,,,,,,,,,

DUCT STRIPERS TASTE GREAT!
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Thanks guys, I figured they were fine to eat.

DIFFERENT WATER SOURCES: The two aqueduct systems that serve the MWD differ widely in water
    quality parameters. Water from the Colorado River, although typically high in TDS and hardness, is low in
    “biological load” or microbe contamination. The California Aqueduct water contains a very high biological
    load due to farming activities in the San Joaquin Valley, organic runoff and other sources. On the plus
    side, the northern California water has a very low TDS and hardness rate. The processing costs of water
    containing a high biological load are higher than their low-load equivalents.

BigBass, your wrong. I saw your other post and its pure BigBassHogwash

i've never gotten sick after eating fish from the duct, and i've always believed that the duct water would be some of the freshest water around. but that's strictly an opinion.

on a side note, i was told that the reason for having fish in the duct, is for early poison detection. since the duct runs much of the west coast, and has many public entry points, there is always a terrorism threat to our drinking water. and when fish start floating, flags are raised.

again, i'm not sure if there is any truth to that, but that's what i was told.

in a nut shell.......GO EAT SOME DUCT FISH!! lol

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast