Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop punk/alternative anyone???

Default Pop punk/alternative anyone???

Well i recently joined a pop punk alternative band with a girl singer the band is called the hour drive and i am very pleased and content with this project they have a lot of potential and drive.The band is From La mirada Ca, we have up and coming shows dates soon to be posted if anyone is interested =]. heres some links on the bands info if you guys are interested..oh and i play drums

you tube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/THEHOURD...l?feature=mhum

myspace
    www.myspace.com/thehourdrive

I'm in!
    Yea right, DR

You guys are actually pretty good...much better than I was expecting. Having bandmates that are excited about the music you're making is a ton of fun...I miss those days.

not even close! pop punk is a lot different than hardocre what you have posted in pictures! this is melodic and soft with singing so try again DR

thank you i just recently joined this band and i like it a lot everyone is professional and love what they are doing they had a 18g record deal this same time last year with a major record label and their drummer at the time quit the day of the contract signing so the label told them no drummer no deal and said bye.

Pretty good, I like! Congratulations!

I'm more of an Industrial/EBM guy myself, pretty good though.

thanks guys appreciate the good comments =]

kind of a "No Doubt" sound. Like her voice with the music.

I guess I should have watched the video first.

1st ; Punk and Accoustic Guitars ???

That is a first, kinda like French Crepes and Quesodillas, Oil and water.
    Dancing with the Stars and UFC

I feel you need to re-evaluate the Term Punk. I heard ZERO Punk in the Vid ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Bass ATTACK View Post
    not even close! pop punk is a lot different than hardocre what you have posted in pictures! this is melodic and soft with singing so try again DR
    Pop Punk ? WTF is that.

What would Sid say ?

punk rock

Main Entry: punk rock
    Function: noun
    Date: 1971
    Results
    1971 rock music marked by extreme and often deliberately offensive expressions of alienation and social discontent.

Guess I need to get with the times ! Pop Punk

Pop punk From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Pop punk
    Stylistic origins Punk rock, pop, power pop, new wave, garage rock
    Cultural origins mid-1970s United States, United Kingdom, Canada and other countries
    Typical instruments Vocals - Electric guitar - Bass - drums - Occasional use of other instruments (such as keyboards)
    Mainstream popularity Various degrees of commercial success since the late 1970s; massive international commercial success in the 1990s and 2000s
    Other topics
    List of pop punk bands- New wave - Post-punk - Skate punk - Ska punk - Alternative rock - Melodic hardcore
    Pop punk is a fusion music genre that combines elements of punk rock with pop music, to varying degrees. Allmusic describes the genre as a strand of alternative rock, which typically merges pop melodies with speedy punk tempos, chord changes and loud guitars.[1] About.com has described contemporary pop punk bands as having "a radio friendly sheen to their music, but still maintaining much of the speed and attitude of classic punk rock".[2]

It is not clear when the term pop punk was first used, but pop-influenced punk rock had been around since the mid- to late-1970s.[3] An early use of the term pop punk appeared in a 1977 New York Times article, "Cabaret: Tom Petty's Pop Punk Rock Evokes Sounds of 60's".[4] In the mid-1990s, the California pop punk bands Green Day and The Offspring, who were later followed by Blink-182, would all achieve worldwide commercial success. From the mid-1990s onwards, some bands associated with the genre have been described as "happy punk", "faux-punk", "mall punk", "pseudo-punk" or "bubblegum punk".[5][6]

Contents [hide]
    1 History
    1.1 Origins (1974-1989)
    1.2 Independent pop punk (1990-1993)
    1.3 Popular acceptance (1994-1997)
    1.4 Continued mainstream ascent (1998-2002)
    1.5 Contemporary mainstream pop punk (2003-present)
    2 See also
    3 Footnotes
    4 External links

[edit] History[edit] Origins (1974-1989)Further information: Punk rock
    Protopunk and power pop bands of the late 1960s and early 1970s helped lay the groundwork for the pop punk sound, which emerged at the onset of punk rock around 1974 with the Ramones.[7] The Ramones' loud and fast melodic minimalism differentiated them from other bands in New York City's budding art rock scene, but pop punk was not considered a separate subgenre until later. Several UK bands of the late 1970s also played what can be considered pop punk. The music of the Buzzcocks,[8] Generation X, 999, The Jam,[9] The Rezillos, The Lurkers, The Undertones,[10][11] The Shapes and Toy Dolls featured catchy melodies, as well as lyrics that sometimes dealt with relatively light themes such as teenage romance. The US band Bad Religion, who started in 1979, were another band that helped lay the groundwork for contemporary pop punk.[12][13][14] Many mod revival bands of the late 1970s and early 1980s also displayed pop punk leanings.

By 1981, hardcore punk had emerged in the United States, with louder, faster music than punk bands. Vocal harmony, melodic instrumentation and 4/4 drumming were replaced with shouting, discordant instrumentation, and experimental rhythms. A few bands, such as Descendents, Screeching Weasel, and The Vandals, began to combine hardcore with pop music to create a new, faster pop punk sound, sometimes referred to as popcore or skatecore.[citation needed] Their positive yet sarcastic approach began to separate them from the more serious hardcore scene. In the 1980s, the term pop punk was used in publications such as Maximum RocknRoll to describe bands similar to Social Distortion, Agent Orange and TSOL.[15]

[edit] Independent pop punk (1990-1993)
    Guttermouth - live in concertPop punk in the United States underwent a resurgence in the early- to mid-1990s, although the genre was not commercially viable at that time. Many pop punk bands retained a do it yourself (DIY) approach to their music, and a number of independent record labels emerged during that period, often run by band members who wanted to release their own music and that of their friends. The independent labels SST/Cruz Records, Lookout! Records, Fat Wreck Chords and Epitaph Records were about to achieve mainstream success.

[edit] Popular acceptance (1994-1997)In February 1994, Green Day released Dookie, the band's first album on a major record label, after starting out on the independent Lookout! Records. The first single, "Longview", instantly became a hit on MTV and modern rock stations across North America and the United Kingdom. Following the success of their first single, Green Day released "Basket Case", which became an even bigger hit. Other hits from the album included "When I Come Around", "Welcome to Paradise" and "She". Dookie sold 10 million copies in the United States and 20 million copies worldwide.[citation needed] Green Day performed at Woodstock '94 and on Saturday Night Live, and appeared on the covers of Spin and Rolling Stone magazines. They won a Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album.

Soon after the release of Dookie, The Offspring released the album Smash on the independent label Epitaph Records. The first single, "Come Out and Play", had a pop punk sound that differed from their earlier work, and it became popular first on radio and later on MTV. Other singles, "Self Esteem" and "Gotta Get Away", sold well. The album sold over 14 million copies worldwide, setting a record for most albums sold on an independent label.[16] By the end of the year, Dookie and Smash had sold millions of copies.[17] The commercial success of these two albums attracted major label interest in punk, particularly Epitaph bands from Southern California, with Bad Religion, NOFX and Rancid reportedly being offered lucrative contracts.[18] Also during this period, Face to Face released their breakthrough album Big Choice, featuring their only top 40 hit "Disconnected",[19] which also became popular on the Los Angeles radio station KROQ.

In the early- to mid-1990s, ska punk achieved commercial success in the United States and several other countries. Some ska punk music — by bands such as Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, Sublime and Less Than Jake — shared many characteristics with pop punk.

By 1997, pop punk's audience had expanded significantly. Green Day's song "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)", from their album Nimrod, brought pop punk to new levels of mainstream acceptance. The song was used in one of the final episodes of Seinfeld in 1998. Blink 182's song "Dammit (Growing Up)" rose to the top of the charts, and their major label debut album Dude Ranch went on to sell 1.5 million copies.

[edit] Continued mainstream ascent (1998-2002)In 1998, The Offspring released the album Americana, which went platinum many times over, and produced hit singles such as "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)", "Why Don't You Get a Job?" and "The Kids Aren't Alright". In 1999, Blink-182 released Enema of the State, which sold over 15 million copies worldwide. The album had three hit singles, including the #1 single "All the Small Things" and the #2 singles "What's My Age Again?" and "Adam's Song". Also in 1999, Lit released their second album, A Place in the Sun, which peaked at #31 on the Billboard 200 and spawned the single "My Own Worst Enemy", which spent 11 weeks at #1 on the US Modern Rock Tracks chart.

In 2000, The Offspring released their next album Conspiracy of One on Napster before they released it on Columbia Records, sacrificing album sales so their fans could hear their music for free. In 2001, Sum 41 released their major label debut All Killer No Filler, which went multi-platinum and included the hit singles "Fat Lip", "In Too Deep" and "Motivation", all of which were featured prominently on TRL and modern rock charts. Also that year, Blink-182's album Take Off Your Pants and Jacket debuted at #1 on the Billboard album charts and sold over four million copies in the United States. The album included the modern rock and TRL hits "The Rock Show", "First Date" and "Stay Together for the Kids".

In 2002, Good Charlotte released their second album, The Young and the Hopeless, which went triple platinum. Also in 2002, Simple Plan released their debut album No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls and Face to Face released How to Ruin Everything, which would be their final album before disbanding two years later. Also that year, Blink-182 co-headlined one of the biggest concert tours in pop punk history, the Pop Disaster Tour with Green Day. In summer 2002, New Found Glory released their third album, Sticks and Stones, which experienced a fair amount of mainstream success with singles such as "My Friends Over You" and "Head on Collision". Sum 41 released their third album, Does This Look Infected, in 2002, giving them a harder sound with the singles "Still Waiting", "Over My Head (Better Off Dead)" and "The Hell Song".

[edit] Contemporary mainstream pop punk (2003-present)In 2003, The Ataris released their breakthrough album So Long, Astoria, which included their first top 40 hit, a cover of "The Boys of Summer". Also in 2003, Blink-182 released a self-titled album, which garnered the band several hits, such as "Feeling This" and "I Miss You". Also released during this period were Rancid's Indestructible (featuring the hit single "Fall Back Down"), Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue (featuring the hit singles "Ocean Avenue", "Way Away" and "Only One"), and The Offspring's Splinter, which spawned another number one US hit for the band "Hit That".

New Found Glory released Catalyst in 2004, which included the hit "All Downhill from Here". Although some songs on the album expanded on the band's hardcore punk influences, other songs added synthesizers and keyboards.[20] In October 2004, Sum 41 released the album Chuck, which mixed pop punk with several other genres, including thrash metal, alternative rock and hardcore. The album's first single, "We're All to Blame", reached #10 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks charts, and the single "Pieces" topped the charts in Canada. Good Charlotte realesed the album The Chronicles of Life and Death. Also that year, Simple Plan released their second album Still Not Getting Any.... The first single, "Welcome to My Life", reached #1 on the Canadian Singles Chart and the Spanish Singles Chart, as well as reaching #11 on the Top 40 Mainstream chart. Green Day released the rock opera album American Idiot in September 2004. The singles "American Idiot", "Jesus of Suburbia", "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", "Holiday" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" received international airplay and MTV video rotation, and topped charts worldwide.

In 2005, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker of Blink-182 formed +44, and in 2006 the band released its first album, When Your Heart Stops Beating. In January 2008, Face to Face reunited and embarked on their first tour together since 2004 later that year. In 2006, My Chemical Romance released The Black Parade, which received critical acclaim and a great amount of mainstream success. The album has sold 1,610,000 copies in the US as of October 2010. In 2007 Sum 41 realesed the album Underclass Hero, reached #1 on the Top Canadian Albums. In June 2008, The Offspring released the album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, featuring their most successful single "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", which topped the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks charts for 11 weeks, making it the longest consecutive run for any Offspring single at #1. The accession of pop punk band All Time Low in the late 2000's is also noteworthy, gaining a vast amount of support with their albums So Wrong, It's Right (2007) and Nothing Personal (2010), on which Blink-182 bassist Mark Hoppus contributed. In December 2009, the band won the Best Pop Punk Band at the Top In Rock Awards. In February 2009, Pop punk legends Blink-182 reunited onstage for the first time since 2005, at the 51st Grammy Awards, announcing their reformation as a band. They would tour the United States that summer, and they announced the recording of a new album due in 2011. In 2009, pop punk superstars Green Day released their album 21st Century Breakdown, another rock opera, and though not as critically acclaimed as American Idiot, it has still sold over 3.5 million copies worldwide. To show the further extent of the mainstream popularity of the pop punk scene, Blink-182 member Mark Hoppus would become the host of his own television show on Fuse TV, on which he gives his opinion on contemporary music. The show is called A Different Spin with Mark Hoppus.

DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 01-02-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast