Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'True' 2lbs - reasonable lb test for landing 15lb full tailed trout in its prime?

Default 'True' 2lbs - reasonable lb test for landing 15lb full tailed trout in its prime?

A bit curious since I've not caught anything in this range.

2lb test line vary widely in terms of actual break strength and diameter. For example, 2 lb Maxima is same diameter as 4 lb Tectan although both break pretty similarly. Then there are other 2 lb line that is more like 4 lb Maxima in diameter and strength.

So taking the often used Maxima 2 lb coupled with a good rod and great drag in one of the lakes in So CA such as Corona or Irvine. Is it practical to expect that one can land a 15 lb trout with full tail and in its prime such as the tailwalker? Would a good fisherman land such a fish with good equipment at least 50% of the time? Or is one better off with 4 lb test if going for such sized fish?

Curious,
    UL

i believe that its posible if one plays it long and well enough (given it doesnt spool u).....(or a jealous fisherman doesnt say "accidentally" trip and cut ur line). but a fish lik that wld b a great fight no matter the gear

a lot of the time i see reports of this size fish being caught it is by a person bait and waiting so i would assume they are using 2lb test at lest half the time and i would also assume they are not using the greatest quality line i think it all has to do with how good you have your drag set up and how good you are at playing the fish.

2lb will do fine. What you want to keep in mind is whether the fish is caught on bait or lures if on bait it's likely that the fish swallowed the hook and at that point the trout's sharp teeth can cut through 2lb after a few headshakes. If you're throwing lures say a kastmaster there's a good chance that a trout would not swallow the lure so the line has almost no contact with the fish's sharp teeth. One last thing is that you want a large line capacity say 150yds+ because as you probably know all big fish make a large initial run when hooked.

2lb cuda is the best you can get from my perspective. it actually breaks at about 6lbs!!!!! ive personally seen fish in the lower teens horsed in with it! its amazing! casts great and is very abrasion resistant for it ultra thin diameter. cuda is the ultimate big trout line in 2lb. the only bad thing is that its really hard to find.lol

last winter. i was catching carp 8lb to 20lb range.using my 8wt.fly rod & arbor reel with 4lb cuda for the leader.i cant imagine on 2lb leader.even on 4lb.the fish, over 12lb, took me far into the backing.that cuda is also very strong in the 2lb.i hear there out of buissness..

NO WAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

try 3lb maxima green, been fishing this line for over 10+ years. 16lb 15.2lb. last year 4 DDs 12-11-10.9-10.6 all on 3lb max. i did lose a 15+ but i had no net man. the stretch & strength is awesome. try it you'll love it. spool up at longfin in orange. gl TEAM BRING IT

Sorry fulltailed holdover trout or a truck-trout,,,two totally different kind of trout,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A bit curious since I've not caught anything in this range.

2lb test line vary widely in terms of actual break strength and diameter. For example, 2 lb Maxima is same diameter as 4 lb Tectan although both break pretty similarly. Then there are other 2 lb line that is more like 4 lb Maxima in diameter and strength.

So taking the often used Maxima 2 lb coupled with a good rod and great drag in one of the lakes in So CA such as Corona or Irvine. Is it practical to expect that one can land a 15 lb trout with full tail and in its prime such as the tailwalker? Would a good fisherman land such a fish with good equipment at least 50% of the time? Or is one better off with 4 lb test if going for such sized fish?

Curious,
    UL
    i believe it depends on if the line is rated on its breaking strength or its "lbs diameter"

I was recently talking to a tackle shop about this, many old school line manufacturers like izor and maxima and ande rate their line based on what diameter it is, meaning "x diameter" line is going to be "y lbs line" even though with the newer technology the line has a higher break strength.

For instance 12lbs izor xxx is "12 lbs diameter" however it breaks around 15-18lbs of pressure.
    Where as in japan all lines(non PE lines) are rated on breaking strength, so 12lbs sunline actually breaks at 12lbs. 12lbs sunline however has the diameter of about 8lbs izor xxx(which also breaks around 12lbs).
    Last edited by xjdesertfox; 01-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast