Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie????

Default Crappie????

Hey all, I just went fishing and limited out on some crappie, relatively small though average of 8 inches. Before I ask all of you for your favorite recipe, I'll pass on a super simple but absoulutey awesome trout recipe that I learned from my dad when I was 8. Take a fresh trout and gut and scale it. Remove the head. Then, take lemon slices, salt, pepper, garlic and butter and fill the cleaned trout. I usually stack a thin slice of butter on a slice of lemon and put as many of the stacks in the trout that will fit. Then generously season with salt pepper and garlic. Wrap in foil and seal the edges well. Place on the coals of a camp fire and wait until the foil puffs up. When puffed its done. Remove from coals and peel back the foil, the skin usually pulls away. Enjoy!!!! Now, if any of you have a good crappie recipe I would much appreciate it. Also, is crappie okay to use for ceviche? thanks

Mike, since we have met, you probably know by now that I am slightly eccentric as I guess you are too, but I love sushi, sashimi, ceviche, whatever, and sometimes use fish I catch for sashimi or ceviche. I can attest to the fact that any sunfish species including Crappie makes great ceviche or sashimi as long as it is fresh. I eat it that way quite a bit. I like to marinate them in Lime juice (Lemon juice as second choice) even when using them as sashimi, but certainly for ceviche. With ceviche, I add lots of tomato pieces, cucumber and maybe celery. I am allergic to the onion family so I don't add that, but most people would.

For cooking, personally I like filleting them even if they are little buggers, and coating them in corn meal mixed with seasoning salt, pepper, and my special ingredients, coriander powder and curry powder. Then I fry them for no more than one minute per side in any good vegetable oil, such as Olive or Grapeseed oil, Canola oil or just Corn oil. I guess butter would work too, but I use as little oil as possible to fry the fish in.

My wife likes to cook them more Chinese style, gutted and scaled with soy sauce, lemon and maybe ginger. (I love ginger.) They can be really good that way too, especially the big ones, but they tend to be bony with a few scales in the mix that way, too. I hope this helps. Here's to delicious Crappie, and good eating!

I would avoid using crappie, or any freshwater fish for ceviche.

Just sounds dangerous to me..

I think it's okay to use freshwater fish for ceviche. The lime or lemon juice disinfects it, and I have had no problems using it. Why would freshwater fish be more dangerous than saltwater for ceviche, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I think it's okay to use freshwater fish for ceviche. The lime or lemon juice disinfects it, and I have had no problems using it. Why would freshwater fish be more dangerous than saltwater for ceviche, anyway?
    there are some organisms that arent killed by lime juice.

Many freshwater diseases are caused by organisms that can survive extreme conditions.

Come to think of it, I have vaguely heard something about that. On the other hand, I have seen recipes for such traditional delicacies as raw pickled Pike, Trout gravlax and even fermented Trout, which are freshwater. I am not saying that Crappie ceviche is for everyone, but I haven't had any problems with it, or other raw freshwater fish, but one does need to be careful.

There is actually a strain of thought that having parasites in one's digestive system is good for a person, not that I am an advocate of that, but that idea is out there. The argument is that the parasites suppress the immune system somewhat which reduces allergies without making the person sick.

I've heard that using any freshwater fish for sashimi is particularly risky and should be avoided. But, Natural Lefty is still alive, so??? ;)

Yes, I'm still alive and well, although things have been really busy around here. I am careful to eat clean fish and try marinate them in lime or lemon juice first. Last week, my wife chopped up a nice size, pink meated Brook Trout I caught during our trip to Mammoth, marinated the pieces in lime juice, added soy sauce and wasabi, then I ate it, just like lox or gravlax.

Heres a EZ one 4 U!

Filet those puppies
    Next dip in flour, next egg wash, next Japanese Panko mix,
    Throw em in the deep fryer until just barely brown,
    Take-em out and CHOW DOWN

how do u filet such a small fish?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast