Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Day Halibut for Mom. S.W.A.T. Solo Mission 12/25/10. Bonus 1/16/11 Report!

Default Christmas Day Halibut for Mom. S.W.A.T. Solo Mission 12/25/10. Bonus 1/16/11 Report!

Attended Midnight Mass with my family last night. After the service, we all went to my parents house to open presents. My Mom asked me what I was doing Christmas morning... I replied, "I'm going to bring you home a Halibut for Christmas dinner Mom." She says that she will bake it Vietnamese style if I brought one home. Vietnamese crispy oven baked fish are usually done with Catfish, but with a Halibut... it's Heavenly.
    As I am typing this report on my laptop at my parents home... the Flattie is in the oven.

I got home around 4:00am and threw some gear in the car and took off. I was on a special mission today, not for S.W.A.T. , but for Mom.
    Hit the South O.C. area at grey light. I figured that I start South and work my way North until I get a legal and head home... easier said than done.

Conditions at the first spot was great except for one major factor, water clarity. Swells were relatively flat, little salad, detected some baitfish... but the water was like milk chocolate.
    I gave it a go for a couple of hours for three Perch, a couple of Yellow Fin Croakers and a Shovelnose.
    NOT what I was looking for...

Looks pretty good from up here...

But when you get down to the beach.

This 3 ft. Shovelnose really fooled me big time. Felt just like a big Halibut. Great fight complete with headshakes and all... I was so disappointed when I saw it come out of the surf.

Had enough of the 1st spot and took off to the next spot, walked down to the beach and was disgusted at what I saw...
    There were so much debris on the beach and in the water that it was pretty much unfishable.
    Didn't even make a single cast, walked back to the car and headed for the third and final spot. Telling myself, this is it... this last spot has got to pay off, it's crunch time. I can't disappoint Mom on Christmas day.

Got to the last spot and saw that conditions was pretty decent. Not perfect by any means, but just good enough that I can at least work the LC. Some clear spots in between the murky brown water and there weren't nearly as much crap floating in the water as the other areas. Definitely has some potential.

Really flat conditions... love it!

Still murky in most areas and a lot of floating debris, but manageable.
    Water clarity isn't great, but better than the last spot, I'll take it.

Floating kelp mass everywhere...

Almost got my feet taken out from under me by this floating log.

Started tossing the LC with reckless abandonment. Throwing it on top of boilers and through kelp beds... trying everything to get that one legal Halibut to bite. Caught a few short Flatties and lost TWO LC's in the process! My Shad/Sardine hybrid and the Metallic Ayu. But I'd trade ten LC's for just one 22" legal Halibut right about now.

A couple of hours passed and my mind started to wander... I was thinking to myself, how in the heck am I going to find a fish market that opens on Christmas Day.
    Then it happened... I lost the Metallic Ayu LC on a boiler rock and was going into my pack to get another LC. I saw the Killer Shrimp pattern that I bought from Bass Pro Shop a few weeks ago just for kicks. Only threw it brieftly when Exfactor, Flyngby and I decided to hit the surf for a couple of hours after the MLPA meeting in Santa Barbara about a week ago... Why not, let's tie it on... and so I did.

Three casts later... VICTORY at last!

Solid 28" Halibut.

Look at the size of the baitfish that it coughed up...

Your soul belongs to Poseidon... but your a** belongs to Mom!
    Damn... I didn't bring anything to put this fish in...

Mission ACCOMPLISHED! Wouldn't you know it, when I brought the fish home, my brothers and sister asked me where is the receipt from the fish market?!? I pulled out my camera and said, "Here's your receipt!"

Well, been a little while since my last report. Work has been pretty hectic with the Holiday season. It felt good to get back into the surf. Hopefully, when things settles down after the New Year, I can get back out there more often.

What a perfect day... even though I didn't get my personal best fish like I did last Christmas Day. It felt good to deliver on a promise to Mom. Dinner is ready, gotta go eat and submit this report later!

I hope that all of you are having a wonderful Christmas. Surrounded by love ones and enjoying all of your gifts... from the ones under the tree to the bounty on your dinner table. God bless us all... everyone.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"Too many people hold Christmas in their hearts for only a day. When they should keep it there... always."

Bonus pics.

Hey... I'm only here to fish.

Weapons.

Can somebody identify this egg-sack looking thingy...? 2-4 inches long, in clumps, soft clear outer casing with a clear gelatin substance inside. There were lots of these attached to the kelp that were washed up on the shore.

Mom & Dad's Christmas lights display.

Parting shots.

Wingnut: "Hey, who drank all the egg nog???"
    Wingnut Pug: "Uhhh...ummm, I think Santa did."

Merry Christmas 57.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 01-16-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

What a great way to start Christmas day Arthur, multi-species day with the target accquired at the end! A fine job indeed!! Merry Christmas!!!

Andrew

Happy holidays! It always feels good to do something for the moms ,feels different when you really have to catch fish ,anyway I went out fri north pch till it was closed same chocolate and salad skunked wil try after church Tom
    I might even be brave enough to try my ayu anyway cya

Multi Species...
    Beautiful Pics....
    A legal Halibut....
    You are truely blessed......Karma has once again reared it's head!
    Done in TRUE Wingnut Class my friend.........What an awesome way to represent everything the holiday season is about.From beginning to end this is an awesome report and you truely represent what Team57.....The FNN.....and the SWAT brotherhood is all about. Your kindness towards so many others is very admirable and I think I can speak for all of the SWAT team when I tell you........Thanks for being "You". We all have so much to "Pay Forward" Arthur. It's mind staggering sometimes to be honest. The world would be a much better place with more people like you!
    Dana is smiling my friend......Merry XMAS

---------<><
    Last edited by bones; 12-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Very nice! Great pics and great post! That's what i call a Merry Christmas.

I guess you will sleep when your dead........major christmas hours spent being the one and only Arthur! Not surprised that you got bit on that lure, looks sexy if you ask me. Those are clumps of squid eggs Arthur. When you hook about 30 pounds of them making squid, it really sucks. Probably why those fish are there too. And, you fished that barometer change today, and guess what? Glad you fulfilled your promise to mom, and yourself.

Nice job on getting your mom the christmas flatty Arthur. Man your mom can cook, i think she could be an Iron Chef or something. We all know about those world fanous eggrolls. Anyways, sorry you didn't make it to the christmas party, but i know that family comes first. You've always been one with your priorities straight. May the new year brings you many more legal flatties.

Take care bro,
    Vincent

Merry Christmas to you Mr. Wingnut! Hope you and your family had a wonderful day. I'm sure your Mom was proud of her boy for bringing home xmas dinner. What a perfect way to start the holiday. I'm sure Mr. 57 enjoyed being there with you. He was on my mind and with me all day long. Santa brought me waders ......my first halibut is coming soon!

wow thanks for shearing you day with us it was a great read and had some sweet pics.

Hi Wingnut,

Very nice all around,

JapanRon

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast