Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 lb vs. 4 lb line

Default 2 lb vs. 4 lb line

So, this trout season was my first time ever fishing for trout .. and I'm still learning a lot of stuffs about trout fishing.
    Since I've started a month ago, I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance. I'd like to know pros and cons of 2lb vs. 4lb.
    I've been looking to stock some more 4lb lines and having my eyes on P-line FloroClear ($7.99 - 300y) , P-line CX ($7.49 - 300y), and Izoline XXX ($15.99 - 3350 yards or $16.99 for 6000yard of 2lb), and I've like to know some pros and cons about these line if anyone has experienced with them
    I'm also considering of buying these lines in 2lb rating to improve the casting distance (if it does affect the distance), but still worry about my newbee skill which would result in line break even though I've lost only 2 fishes out over 50 that I've caught, but none of those were piggy. I'm just worry that my first piggy would break my line if I use 2lb.
    Thanks all

generally
    lighter line usually = smaller diameter, which in turn = farther casting distance.

the rod is what casts the line. You can cast a bit further with lighter mono, but ultimately, the rod is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    the rod is what casts the line. You can cast a bit further with lighter mono, but ultimately, the rod is the key.
    ah yes.. very true also.. longer rods will allow you to cast farther too. good point exfactor

stick with the 4lb flouro it is a thinner diameter than what 4lb mono would be. Flouro lines also have higher abrasion resistance than mono do.

your line wont break unless they somehow swallow the hook and get you with there tiny teeth.. and if your drag isnt set to perfection....... .....
    2 lb test is the way to go if you want to cast further and the longer rod 7 foot is fine.
    p line and izor works pretty well just have your drag set right and dont try to bounce trout that are over 13 inches..
    If your not sure that the drag isnt set right simply ask one of the guys who look like they know what there doing while jigging for trout or bait fishing...with 2lb

Quote Originally Posted by VietReefer View Post
    ...... I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance. I'd like to know pros and cons of 2lb vs. 4lb.

I've been looking to stock some more 4lb lines and having my eyes on P-line FloroClear ($7.99 - 300y) , P-line CX ($7.49 - 300y), and Izoline XXX ($15.99 - 3350 yards or $16.99 for 6000yard of 2lb), and I've like to know some pros and cons about these line if anyone has experienced with them

Thanks all
    ok so i am just going to repeat the information i have been given and im going to talk about my personal expirance.

ok you said your using floroclear, floroclear is not fluorocarbon, floroclear is standard line coated with fluorocarbon so you do not get all the positives of fluorocarbon.

Fluorocarbon is extremely transparent for its diameter while under water but, how ever it is brittle for its diameter while standard line is stronger but not as transparent (i am leaving mono out cuz it is its own topic) so when you coat standard line with fluorocarbon you get more transparency while maintaining some strength its kinda a give and take with floroclear.

mono has a higher then normal strength for its diameter. so it is thinner then standard 2lb test while maintaining the same strength or in my experience even stronger, how ever is not very transparent.

so there are pros and cons to all type of line.

casting distance is very dependent on the rod. if your rod is rated for 4-12lb line and 1/8-3/4 you are not going to be able to cast as far using 2lb and a 1/32-3/16 weight or lure because your rod will be to stiff and will not be able "load up" and act as a spring to help launch your lure or bait if your bait fishing. how ever you can get away with using a lighter line and compensating by using a larger weight.

the diameter of the spool will also affect the casting distance not as much as the rod but if your using a lighter line and weight with a larger reel the extra diameter spool will have more surface area for the line to rub agents while the line is going out and using a lighter line and weight the extra friction caused by the greater surface area will cut your cast a bit short.

Thanks all
    I was using the 7ft rod, rated 2-8lb line, lure weight rating were 1/64 - 1/8 oz and a small reel so I'd like to think that the rod & reel weren't factors with me, that's why I'm thinking the line was the factor in my case. (Too bad a fishing buddy broke my rod while taking it out of this car and closed the door on when the tip wasn't completely out of the car :), damm .. what can one say but smile, I know he feel pretty bad about it already. So I'm looking for a similar rod but couldn't find one at BPS, any recommendation on other rod that's not too expensive, not over $60?, I've tried the BPS micro rod but it's too flimsy (soft), and I don't like the feel of it on my hand)?

60 bucks isn't alot for a quality rod. If your going to fish the rest of your life, get a top quality rod 7 to 8 1/2 feet long. There are many quality rodmakers out there, and my preference is g loomis, phenix, lamiglass, or fenwick. Also, the 2500 size reels have a larger spool then the mini's, and really help with line twist, and casting. A little heavier, but much nicer for casting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast