Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muddy waters

Default Muddy waters

How does brown muddy water affect the fish. Catfish are tough. What about the others????
    Last edited by M@M; 12-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Muddy stained water:

Water clarity certainly has it’s detrimental affects..

Visibility is drastically affected as well as oxygen.

To take it farther....in harsher weather conditions where heat is about, the stained water will refract more light due to all the particles in the water… which in turn superheats those particles resulting in warmer water....therefore resulting in less oxygen as well.

This all translates to a much slower bite pattern.

Fish cannot see as well and must utilize their lateral lines much more to target prey…

For those who don’t know…lateral lines are how fish hear - water displacement/vibrations in the water etc.

This explains why very often in stained water ull get more short strikes as the fish very often target their prey reliant upon their lateral line signals…

They will use sight whenever available but key on this more with stained water….think about fish striking at night….

Sure they can see a little more than most think they can at night but a major portion of that is water displacement and or vibrations in the water.

Count on the bite to be slower in murkier water, due to this, the oxygen factor never helps the overall scenario either…

Less oxygen =’s less active fish

This applies to most species, particularly the stripers and LMB, Catfish are way different and can slop through just about anything.

I wouldn’t say don’t fish in these conditions as w/o doubt, action can be had, it’s just way far from peak conditions, expect it to be harder overall.

Hope this helps,
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 12-21-2010 at 10:17 AM.

I assumed water was gong to be muddy after all the rain. Went to the Duct today water was flowing fast and looked fine. Not muddy.

Mike, Since the duct is elevated and the runoff is really just from what's on the blacktop side of the service road, it does not get much mud. It will darken a little bit but like you noticed, not too much. When they run it wide open after being still for some time, the sediment gets stirred up and that is when the water looks the most "muddy" but that settles after awhile.

bako water is a very light coffee color currently...all depends on the tributaries in the region

I hear everything is dirtier in Bako

Drove over the duct today in the buttonwillow area while at work,,,,,,,,,,,,straight CHOCKOLATE milk,,,,,,,,,,,HORRIBLE,,,Worst ive seen it in a L O N G time,,ALSO,,Tumble weeds everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,,This was on 12/21,,,,,,,,,bought 10am,,,,,,,,,,,,Il be back out there this morn working and il try to get a pic,

TRAIL BLAZER
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    bako water is a very light coffee color currently...all depends on the tributaries in the region

That explain,s it,,,,,,,,,,thats why GAWY loves it so much up here====FREE COFFEE!!!

now that its turn,d to chocolate milk GAWY will be in heaven.

T,B
    Last edited by trail blazer; 12-22-2010 at 04:59 AM.

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by yolo View Post
    I hear everything is dirtier in Bako

Only on YOUR side of town YOLO....yolo

TRAIL BLAZER

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Haha. I'm in for some chocolate milk. I want to see that pic too. I know you guys get some different canals that dump into the duct up there so it would definitely be a little "dirtier" water there. You guys also get well water that can be pumped in too. Lots of water sources. We don't have any of that in the AV or VV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast