Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Striper Quest

try Castaic lake

6th-11th tries - Dec 28, 29, 30, 31, Jan 2 Quick report
    Got an electric trolling motor - sooo much easier and quieter to maneuver and fish.
    Went out and threw Huddlestons, Lunker punkers and Z plugs on all the main lake points, and out deeper on the points (40-60'). Also trolled Huddlestons on leadcore line at 7 colors one of the days. No luck with the stripers yet.

Also metered stripers on deep ridges hanging at 30'-40' over 60-70' bottom. Worked them with a Crocodile spoon and dropshot plastic minnows. Picked up a 2 lb largemouth bass on the spoon.
    Last edited by Geraldlim; 01-08-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    6th-11th tries - Dec 28, 29, 30, 31, Jan 2 Quick report
    Got an electric trolling motor - sooo much easier and quieter to maneuver and fish.
    Went out and threw Huddlestons, Lunker punkers and Z plugs on all the main lake points, and out deeper on the points (40-60'). Also trolled Huddlestons on leadcore line at 7 colors one of the days. No luck with the stripers yet.

Also metered stripers on deep ridges hanging at 30'-40' over 60-70' bottom. Worked them with a Crocodile spoon and dropshot plastic minnows. Picked up a 2 lb largemouth bass on the spoon.
    Gerald,

Looks like you got a good plan out there. However, I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. I tried a lot of similar things for similar results. Our day(s) shall come..must persist.

12th try - Jan 6
    Trout plant!
    Trying baitcaster for the 1st time to throw the big swimbaits. Never got a bite. Saw a NICE striper chase a 3 lb trout right under my boat. Threw a bunch of swimbaits, did some trolling. Had a couple of backlashes and snapped off 2 Huddlestons. Still no striper.

Lucky Number 13 - Jan 7
    After losing 2 lures yesterday due to my amateur casting I upgraded to 65 lb braid on the Abu Garcia Black Max.
    Started at the ramp area - no bites.
    Moved out to the points and started casting topwater swimbaits. Once it got brighter moved on to casting sinking swimbaits as well as trolling on leadcore line.

At about 9 or so the wind picked up, so I started working the windward SIDES of long rocky points as well as the actual points, theorizing that the wind would push the water and the bait into the wall and the striper would follow.

At around 11 I was fishing an area I had never fished before, the side of one of my regular points I always hit.
    As I was slowly retrieving the bait WHAM! A hit, but no hookup! Sh**! Come on baby, hit me again........ BAM! hit again, and this time hookup, thank you ma'am! Happy days! The fish pulls 65# braid from my brand new Abu Garcia Black Max baitcaster and it is STRONG. Don't come off, please don't come off. Gradually I get it under control and it gets closer to the boat.

I see color! Yay! I bring it up and bring the net under it. Don't screw up now Gerald. Scoop, and she's mine! My first DVL striper.
    Blood on the deck! Slime on my shoes and pants! Yippee! The hooks fall out as I flip it out of the net. Spring scale reads 9 pounds - my PB. Not a DD, but almost and I could not be happier.

Thanks to all the kind folk who shared their knowledge to help me understand how to fish this lake: Art Berry, Matt Magnone, DVL staff Stefan and Jim, and all the others who posted or messaged me with suggestions. The journey has begun, and I look forward to deepening my understanding of this lake, and more successes as I grow as a striper angler.

Now to go out and get my DD!
    Stay tuned. Until next time,

Gerald,
    Last edited by Geraldlim; 01-09-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: In my haste got the names wrong. Sorry, Jim!

Nice fish!

Great job. I met you a few weeks ago at with my son off the docks. We have been havin a tough time lately getting on fish. maybe in afew months I'll hire you as a guide. Hope to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by yolo View Post
    Nice fish!
    Thanks Yolo. It was BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy12 View Post
    Great job. I met you a few weeks ago at with my son off the docks. We have been havin a tough time lately getting on fish. maybe in afew months I'll hire you as a guide. Hope to see you again.
    I remember you and your son. Haha, I know you're joking, but by the time I know what the guides know I will be too old to go fishing!

sweet.perseverance and patience pays off in the end.congratulations.

Ive been fishing DVL for four years now. This is my first year throwing Hudds Punkers and BBZ. Have dedicated about 10 full days to those swimbaits and nothing. Did get a 15lb follow a large Zplug but didnt hit. Only large one this year was a 9 on a LA Slider. So im glad to see when people like us get out there and finally nail one.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast