Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Striper Quest

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    BUT ROD SKUNK'S YOURE MIDDLE NAME,,,,,LOL,,,,,HEY GERALD DO YOU THE RESTRICTIONS OF BOATING ELSE WERE AFTER GOING TO SKINNER?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    T.O.,

correction.."skunk" was my middle name....after I go Wednesday it is gonna by "slayer"..........Okay, okay Im just trying to pump myself and get my head straight. Must be confident...must be confident....must be confident.....of course, I get skunked one more time Im selling my boat, all my gear, and gonna try something new like golf, bowling, or lawn darts

Default Storm

Gerald,
    I was out on Sunday with a buddy and saw you troll by. We were in the small center console skiff.

We didn't get any striper but caught about ten bass. The wind was RIDICULOUS!
    Saw a few Stripers caught though. Keep at it, if your as good a fisherman as you are a freediver, I know you'll rip em in no time.

Well darnit….with that conviction and perserveerance you certainly deserved to get on the slay…

I must tip my fishing hat to your commitment…that’s what it takes !

I’ll note a few things but I must admit I am no expert on DVL as I’ve only fiashed it a handful of times.

Most of those boils as you put it were most likely LMB and not the stripers, the largemouth there can be real tricky and finicky and you’ll need to “match the hatch” so to speak in order to get any solid action on topwater or boiling fish.

My guess is that you saw individual fish most the times not “BOILS” as we call it, boils are just what the words say…when the fish are frantically boiling…churning the water…usually many fish at a time.

The largemouth do that as well so it’s always difficult to call unless you’ve been on many boils…stripers and LMB boils definitely have slightly different characteristics…

Sounds like you may have hooked into a real nice stripey that bent your hook, Stripers will work your gear hard, bent hooks are par for the course.

One thing to think about when dealing with bent hooks is that the end result isn’t exactly what transpires….

The hook gets torqued and and actually flexes b4 it bends, so that end result of a slightly bent hook actually was torque flexed much more than you see resulting in the lost fish..

Mr Stripey’s head shakes are brutal and the drag must be set correctly to give when needed and the fish played out for some period of time if it’s a hawg.

Not trying to lecture you, I hope it doesn’t come off that way, it seems you just entering into that sick world of toad stripey so hopefully this edjucates you and others if not just a little : )

Try much higher quality hooked jigheads, I don’t fish scroungers all that much but they are a great fish catcher for years, I’d suggest seeing if you can take a gamakatsu jighead with gamakatsu hooks and attach the scrounger lip on them…those hooks will hold up much better as there usually around 2x strength.

Last but not least, I must compliment you on your report format…

Even though you didn’t get any fish in the boat, it was a pleasure reading the report as it was READER FRIENDLY !

Many times us anglers type the report as we type in general acceptable format which lends itself to becoming a “SNOWBLIND” affect and things get lost or the read gets borring….

Nice REPORT : )

Keep up the good work and stay on ‘em….your turn is coming up soon nuff !

Gary

I was there on the 16th. You were right behind us in line when we went in and we chatted for a bit. The bite that day was pretty good in the morning until it stopped raining. Keep at it.. Fish happen.... We ended up with 14 Stripers 8 from 10-15 and 6 from 2-5lbs. We were runnin and gunning arouns trying tog et away from all the boats and it kinda paid off... Your little boat moves pretty darn good.. We saw you heading over to the tower that day.. Keep at it... try a 3 inch pearl big hammer with a 1/16 weighted 2/0 ewg in the boils and slow wind it under the surface... Good luck and Tight lines..

mike

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    T.O.,

I get skunked one more time Im selling my boat, all my gear, and gonna try something new like golf, bowling, or lawn darts
    OOOOO OOOOOOHH i'll buy your porta boat!!!! ;) ahahahaha

I really admire your persistence Gerald :) With that attitude, I know for sure your DD will come soon, and I'm talking about striper size .. not breast size like you've always thought lol.
    I'm still waiting for you to try out all the things and find out what works then I'll go with you hehe.

6th Try - 12/23
    Went out again and hit every good spot around the lake.
    Skunked again!
    But I met Rod (HuskerRod), and learned a lot of new stuff during the day. I can just feel the big one around the corner!
    Like Arnold said, "I'll be back!"

Your time will come very soon Gerald for sure. when you going next??

Gonna try to go Tuesday, & as many days as I can next week while I'm off. I need to get a trolling motor for the boat too so I don't have to keep the outboard running. How 'bout you?

Default keep at it

Keep at it bro you will get one goodluck.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast