Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling the Trigger on a new setup

Default Pulling the Trigger on a new setup

Okay been out looking around and finally decided that I should go with the Phenix Elixir 7'6" 2 piece split handle and the shimano stradic ci4. Talked my way down to a good deal and for some reason I am still gun shy on buying it. Folks help me justify this purchase. Give me the goods and bads about buying a $300.00 + setup..... Thanks, I just need a little more motivation......

I love my ci4 1000, but I just bought myself a new ci4 2500 and I was going to post up my ci4 1000. Its in mint condition and comes with the box. I've had it for a couple months.
    Not sure what type of deal you got, but if you are interested let me know or you'll see it post it up in the classifieds tonite either way.

All I can say is your investing money . If you buy cheep and it breaks or don't preform you will be sorry . Spend the money on the good gear and you will be happy and know it it last .Money well spent in my book

You buy the best and it'll last you a lifetime if you take care of it. And the best usually cost's the extra money. You may think that a cheapo will do ( there's nothing wrong with them cheapo's, great for lettin friends to use and beatin the crap out of) but you'll soon learn fishing is much more enjoyable when ya have the good stuff and you'll catch more fish!

You said to help you make the purchase so... It's well worth the purchase. You will enjoy that setup compared to a say a sub $100 one. I fish at least once a week, so I do not want cheap gear that might break on me. The sensitivity, balance, weight, and total feel of my rods help me catch fish. If you fish alot, you will really appreciate the better setups.

Be warned though, you may not want to go back to the cheaper stuff after you've used higher end stuff. Lol

I own the ci4 and it is a great reel. Smooth drag and super light. Have you checked out the pflugger patriarch? supposed be a competitor to the ci4.

A lot depends on the Target fish or line weight used..??

I would avoid the 2 Piece Rods???
    You Lose a lot of sensitivity at the connection (which is what your paying for).
    So 2-piece kind of defeats the purpose of the $$ spent...
    If your dead set on a 2-piece, just go to a cheaper rod...

Reels??? I can hardly tell the diff between some of my $25 reels and the High end Stella's..
    Primary in a spinning reel to me is smooth drags.. (absolutely needed with light line).
    Some basic service will get what you want in most Quality Name brand spinning reels. IMHO.

Unless price is no object and you want bling you could get the same results with half the cost.
    Remember the fish dont know whats beyond the hook, they dont care either!!

With Spinning Reels I fish only 2 to 6# line...
    Quality Line and good drags is what I look for..
    Cuda line or Izor XXX Greased Drags and you ready to fish!!

i have a custom wrapped one piece 7'7 elixir with the ci4 1000 and its awesome. soooooo light and super sensitive. the drag is amazing on the stradic and paired with that elixir its a mini jigging machine! you wont regret this purchase at all. i love mine and i dont want to fish anything else but it.

ill be at yucaipa most of this week if you want to take a few casts with mine. ill be wearing a royal blue phenix jacket.

I agree Nessie. Definitely stay away from the higher priced 2 piece rods.

If you can find them for a decent price, check out the Carrot Stix Drop shot rods. I've had nothing but good luck on that thing. I have heard people say they're pretty weak rods (as far as breaking), but I've never had a problem with mine. I even bought a Carrot Stix cranking rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast